1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which chickens should I get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Leanimal, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Leanimal

Leanimal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    I'm getting the six baby chicks in February. Which breeds should I get? I have two young kids so they need a sweet disposition and egg laying is the next priority. My coop is 4x6 with 3 nest boxes and a yard to play in so size is not really an issue. These will be my first chickens so easy care will be a nice attribute. I live in Washington with mild winters, but we do get snow. So winter hardy too please.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Black Austrolorps & Buff Orpingtons would top my list of breeds for your needs.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do you have an egg color preference? If you would like brown eggs, I would recommend sex links. All of mine have been docile and good with children, and have never had any issues in the Vermont winter. They are egg laying maniacs, and there is no way they can be sexed wrong and you can end up with a rooster. They come in a variety of colors, too. They are great beginner chickens. I would also recommend easter eggers if you think your kids would get a kick out of the green and blue eggs. They are also pretty docile and have pea combs, so winter is no issue.

If you're looking for actual purebred breeds, orpingtons, brahmas, and jersey giants are about as docile as they come, although they are dual purpose breeds so they don't lay as well as the sex links. Silkies and cochins are very docile and mine are lap chickens, but again, not so great with the laying.

1 person likes this.
  4. Leanimal

Leanimal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Thanks All! I think I am going to get 2 easter eggers, a plymouth barred rock, buff orphington, 2 black australorps, and a black sex link! With all the cool breeds, how can you just pick one!!? Wish me luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by