Which chickens would you keep?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by derby, Mar 27, 2009.

1. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    I currently have a happy flock of 6 hens: 1 black australorp, 1 EE, and 4 SL Wyandottes.

My friend (friend #1) raises 2 chicks every spring and rehouses them. Before she bought her chicks this year, she asked me I wanted them (I took last years). I told her I haad a full house, but would ask a friend (friend #2). Friend #2 said she would be happy to take in the chicks, so friend #1 bought them to raise.

So I visited friend #1 and saw her chicks. One is a blue araucana and the other looks to be another EE. And now I find myself coveting the blue araucana.....

In the meantime, I find out that friend #2 wants the chicks to rebuild her flock. She has lost 10 of her 13 bantys to a fox in the past few months. Then I find out that she doesn't coop them up at night - they sleep in the orchard trees.

Now I guess any of us could have a fox problem. Mine are out in the yard during the day, so they could be caught one day, too.

Well, I'm thinking of keeping these two chicks and passing on two of my SLWs. Friends #2 would probably be happy to have adults that are already laying and the 2 adults would probably have an easier time avoiding the fox then the two 2-month old chicks.

I'm feeling guilty about giving away two of my birds. But, as a hobbyist - I'm really interested in having a variety of breeds in my flock.

What would you do? Would you give away two of your adults to keep these 2 chicks? Or would you feel loyalty to your own flock and pass the chicks on to the new owner?

The two chicks came from Southern States. What are the chances they would introduce disease to my healthy flock?

Thanks,
    Derby

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'd just be honest and ask friend #2 what she wants to do since you've already offered the chicks to her.

On a side note, who raises chicks to two months and then gives them away? I think chickens are much more lovely and interesting once they've fully feathered and are fully grown. I always wish my chicks would grow faster.

3. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    question -

how did friend #1 get a purebred blue araucana if she is not serious about it and not planning to keep it...? They are so rare and hard to find...?

Either way, I would just talk it over with friend #2 and let her know that you're interested in the new breeds for your flock and were thinking that your coop would be a safe place for them since they're so young, and maybe she would be interested in two of your adults instead? I think that's the best route. I bet she'll understand.

4. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    I don't know if she is pure bred. My friend was told it was an araucana. It is rumpless and has tufts.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Derby

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    If it's rumpless and has tufts, it's MUCH closer to purebred Araucana than most things out there! If she got it from a hatchery or feed store, let everyone know--folks will be beating down their door.

6. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    yeah, no kidding! Blue, rumpless and tufts! That is in VERY high demand, hugely desirable, and extremely hard to find... are you sure she got it from a hatchery?? If so, definitely start a thread on here to let people know. They'll go crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by