Which Chicks Should I Add to my Flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenman636, Mar 18, 2015.

1. chickenman636

chickenman636 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2014
    Tennessee
    My Coop
    I currently have 3 full grown buff orpingtons, 1 full grown barred rock, and a couple unidentifed black chickens. I want to buy 5 or 6 more chickens this spring but I don't know which ones to buy, give me your advice of which chickens are your favorite, that produce the most and blend in with my flock.

2. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Black sex links would look very nice and lay lots of eggs.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  3. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    i love Brahma's! they are awesome. I also really like easter eggers, australorps, and wyandottes.

4. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    After reading up I got 2 new Brahmas this year as well as 2 new Easter Eggers, they are both reported to be less skittish and even friendly much of the time. I have 2 Production Reds and 2 B.O.'s and wanted something more friendly than the Reds, my B.O.'s are friendly enough but still standoffish so I wanted more interactive ones this time. If you are looking for eggs, my Reds are the better layers of my 2 current breeds, if you are looking for beauty, I was looking at some Polish, If you want cool eggs, look for some Marans.

5. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Black australorp, Easter eggers, and Dominique would all fit in with your flock composition, and all are good layers. EE typically lay blue-green eggs, which is a nice color addition to the egg basket. Dominique look like BR but are small and have a rose comb.

6. in2camo

in2camo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Northern Utah
    This brings up another question and I don't mean to hijack the thread. What's the best way to introduce new chicks to an existing flock? At what age can you add more birds?

7. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Are you talking about chicks you're raising rather than those being raised by a mother hen? If so, it works best to integrate them when they are about the same size as the birds in your existing flock. I usually integrate chicks when they are between 13 and 16 weeks of age. By that age they are large enough, fast enough and usually smart enough to evade the older birds.

8. in2camo

in2camo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Northern Utah
    Chicks not being raised by a mother hen...That's exactly the answer I need. Thanks, carry on

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by