Which Chicks Should I Add to my Flock?

chickenman636

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 29, 2014
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
I currently have 3 full grown buff orpingtons, 1 full grown barred rock, and a couple unidentifed black chickens. I want to buy 5 or 6 more chickens this spring but I don't know which ones to buy, give me your advice of which chickens are your favorite, that produce the most and blend in with my flock.

After reading up I got 2 new Brahmas this year as well as 2 new Easter Eggers, they are both reported to be less skittish and even friendly much of the time. I have 2 Production Reds and 2 B.O.'s and wanted something more friendly than the Reds, my B.O.'s are friendly enough but still standoffish so I wanted more interactive ones this time. If you are looking for eggs, my Reds are the better layers of my 2 current breeds, if you are looking for beauty, I was looking at some Polish, If you want cool eggs, look for some Marans.

Black australorp, Easter eggers, and Dominique would all fit in with your flock composition, and all are good layers. EE typically lay blue-green eggs, which is a nice color addition to the egg basket. Dominique look like BR but are small and have a rose comb.

This brings up another question and I don't mean to hijack the thread. What's the best way to introduce new chicks to an existing flock? At what age can you add more birds?

This brings up another question and I don't mean to hijack the thread. What's the best way to introduce new chicks to an existing flock? At what age can you add more birds?
Are you talking about chicks you're raising rather than those being raised by a mother hen? If so, it works best to integrate them when they are about the same size as the birds in your existing flock. I usually integrate chicks when they are between 13 and 16 weeks of age. By that age they are large enough, fast enough and usually smart enough to evade the older birds.

Are you talking about chicks you're raising rather than those being raised by a mother hen?  If so, it works best to integrate them when they are about the same size as the birds in your existing flock.  I usually integrate chicks when they are between 13 and 16 weeks of age.  By that age they are large enough, fast enough and usually smart enough to evade the older birds.  

Chicks not being raised by a mother hen...That's exactly the answer I need. Thanks, carry on

Back
Top Bottom