Which chicks to pick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DamnYankee, Mar 25, 2016.

1. DamnYankee

DamnYankee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    Lincolnton, NC
    Hello all. I joined a while back in hopes of starting a flock but life got in the way. We are now ready to go though. I live in central NC and am wondering what good egg producers I should get? Thanks in advance!

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire reds, and Barred Plymouth Rocks are always good egg layers.And the New Hampshire Red is a beautiful orange colored bird. These breeds also all lay large eggs and have great production!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I picked my first batch of chicks based on egg production and temperament. I got gold sex-links, buff orpingtons, dominiques, barred rocks, white rocks, speckled Sussex, and New Hampshire reds. I also had black Australorps on order, but they had a bad hatch.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It depends on the style of management you plan to use. Do you want to replace your flock every 2 years? Will you be processing your old layers for meat? Will your birds be "pets" with you having the attitude that you would never replace them, couldn't kill or eat them? What will you do with them when they are no longer laying eggs? Will you eventually want to hatch your own chicks in an incubator or under a broody hen? If you want lots of eggs, and don't mind replacing your birds every couple of years, you could get "production birds" Red, or Black Sex links, Leghorns, and any of the other hybrid layers would satisfy your needs. If you want to get more than 2 seasons out of a bird, you should choose a dual purpose or "heritage breed". You might want some of the standard breeds, like Barred Rock or Black Orpington. Or you might lean towards choosing one or more breeds that are fairly new, or making a come back, like Buck Eye, or Dominique. And don't forget the ever popular Easter Egger. (Hatcheries will call them Ameraucanas, or Araucanas, but... unless they are offering a specific color variety, you will be getting an Easter Egger,) which will give you a nice colorful egg basket!

For help with your selection, check out "Henderson's Chicken Breeds Chart".

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE

6. DamnYankee

DamnYankee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    Lincolnton, NC
    I think the birds will be treated more as pets. We couldn't eat them. I would like to get more than a couple seasons out of them for sure.

7. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    You may want to stagger your flock to get the highest consistent egg production then. For example, get three birds now, another three next year, then another three...and so on, so that when one bird's egg production is dropping, a younger burd's is just starting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by