Which Clubs should I be a member of so I can show my chickens?

k0r1nag

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
Kelso
Hello fellow BYCers! I would love some input into sorting out the world of Poultry Clubs and Poultry Showing.

Obviously the first step in showing is obtaining good birds from reputable breeders which I have done. We have quality LF Cochins, Banty Polish & White call ducks we would like to show. My goals are to show these fowl, sell a few chicks/ducklings or hatching eggs and continue to enjoy raising them. I don't care about winning (though it would be nice to have a top winner or 2) - I just want to prove that the birds meet the SOP and are of good enough quality that I can sell them to people in 4-H clubs and local fanciers.

So what groups do I need to be a member of, if any, and why?

APA and ABA

Call Duck Assoc

Polish Breed Club

Cochin Breed Club

The local Poultry Club - in my case I live in SW WA and so the regional club is PNPA (Pacific Northwest Poultry Assoc)

Thanks for all the knowledge and experience this community is always willing to share!

In oreder to show your birds you do not need a "Club Member" of any type.
To pick one club I would say APA and become a member of the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP)
You will need a NPIP number in order to sell chicks and hatching eggs outside your state and to 4-H kids.

After you have done that then you can join the other clubs.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I actually have already contact the Vet for my state and have arranged for them to test my flock early next year.

What is the advantage of starting with the APA as a "first" club?

Korina

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I actually have already contact the Vet for my state and have arranged for them to test my flock early next year.

Korina

I actually have already contact the Vet for my state and have arranged for them to test my flock early next year.

Make sure that your State Vet is licensed to test for the NPIP program.

It is just a all round good first step for someone just starting out.

Chris​

You can show without being a member of any of the clubs & organizations.
That said, I would encourage anyone interested in showing to join both the APA & ABA. These are the organizations that develop & publish Standards; train Judges & sanction shows. Without them there would be no poultry shows. Therefore it's in the interest of anyone interested in preserving & advancing the fancy to support these two sanctioning bodies.
As to the breed clubs some, like the Old English Game Bantam Club are very active & offer many benefits to members. Others not so much. I'd suggest talking to people at the shows to see if they are breed club members & ask them why or why not.

Last edited:
Quote:
NYREDS, Thank you for the clear and compelling information on the APA & ABA. Very good reasons to join.

Does anyone have any opinions about particular breed clubs such as the Cochin, Polish or Call Duck clubs and their benefits. I would love to ask why people are or are not members, but I do not know any other poultry enthusiasts in my area who are members of these groups. My hope would be to gain some information from the knowledgeable people here on BYC.

the Call Breeders Club is very active and puts out a nice newsletter 4 times a year, plus the yearbook has a very large listing of all the call breeders. There are some nice cash prizes available IF you are a member and show....it is probably one of the most active breed clubs out there and a great way to network with other call breeders. I would recommend joining either the APA or ABA or even both...they are the heart and soul of shows...

You can check out our website at www.callducks.org and decide for yourself...

Quote:
Turbo -thanks so much for the feedback. It is so nice to hear about a club from someone "in the know". And as all my white calls are boys at the moment...I definitely need a way to contact other call breeders about the availability of exhibition quality stock.

Quote:
NYREDS,
Please explain what it is you believe the OEGBCA to be doing for its members, and what activities they have been involved in. There are many breed clubs out there that are active in teh state and communities and youth organizations. The OEGBCA has no youth program, provides for no youth points system or recognition. Who is running these club sponsored activities? All I am aware of is individual members bending over backward to help youth, and local events.

The APA and ABA I fully support, other breed clubs I fully support in thier efforts and appreciate what they offer both thier Sr and Jr members as prospective members.

Back
Top Bottom