Which Cochin bantam looks bettter?

Wolfefarmyard

Crowing
Aug 18, 2017
Gansevoort, NY
I have 2 white Cochin bantam cockerels, and I was wondering which one looks better to you? The smaller one is a little bit younger. They are still young so I expect them to fill out much more.

I did notice that the older one (the last few photos are of him) has one wing that looks off to me but the other looks fine, what do you think this is?
I know these photos are rather poor but they weren’t exactly cooperating :barnie
47234136-C37D-45ED-AF2B-BD07C16D487F.jpeg
D4C17391-254C-4395-A93A-CA06AFBFF007.jpeg
0791AE7A-FA4E-4E3B-84DB-302DDE36089B.jpeg
37BBD821-E681-4E7A-93DB-168204BD94C9.jpeg
A22D356E-0D87-477E-AE29-0B194D804095.jpeg
C5FF413B-A395-4475-9120-EC823BE7D7E0.jpeg
3E18F632-899F-44AB-9EC0-596838E05396.jpeg

Last edited:
They definitely need more time to mature. The first one has a more even comb currently.

Yes I do like his comb better, it’s straighter and has exactly 5 points.

But I do like the other ones shape better and demeanor.
What do you think about that wing? I thought maybe it was split win, but I’ve never encountered it before and it seems odd that it’s only one wing and not the other.

Yes I do like his comb better, it’s straighter and has exactly 5 points.

But I do like the other ones shape better and demeanor.
What do you think about that wing? I thought maybe it was split win, but I’ve never encountered it before and it seems odd that it’s only one wing and not the other.
How old are they?

I agree that the first cockerel's comb is the better of the two. I wouldnt keep the second one based off of comb alone.

Can't really comment on conformation since it will still change as they grow.

I'm honestly not sure what's going on with that wing. Maybe watch and see? Maybe it's just an issue of needing to molt.

They are really still too young to tell, cochins take time so be patient. The wing looks weak at best and could be split wing. The best way to tell wether it is weak or split is to extend the wing and look for the axial feather which is located between the primaries and secondaries, it will be smaller and acts as a bridge between the two feather groups on the wing. If it is there then the wing is weak but this may correct as final molt takes place, if it is missing then it is a split wing bird and is a disqualification. It is quite common for only one wing to be affected and the other be normal. Weak and split wings are moderately heritable traits and if used for breeding you can expect a small percentage of the chicks to carry or express this defective trait. If you are able take a picture of the fully extended wing and I may be able to assess which it is.

Blessings,

Bo

Back
Top Bottom