Which cockerel / roster should stay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kitehawk, Oct 8, 2011.

1. kitehawk

kitehawk New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    We have raised 4 chicks from one week old, which the kids have loved. Now 5 months on, we have one hen and three roosters - I know this because the boys keep at each other fighting for top spot.

Mojo is the Alpha A and is quite protective [​IMG]

Coco is second in line [​IMG]

Penny (thought he was a girl!) is at the bottom of line and the smallest but not aggressive at all. We are going to get some more hens and give away two of the roosters. [​IMG]

Who should we keep? I was thinking Mojo as he is the most protective and I think Coco is a very unusual looking chook. But my daughter wants to keep Penny as she thinks he the best looking (although quite dumb;) ) And what age do they start breeding? I read some sites that say 6 months and other say 12 months +. So when do should I separate them?

Also does anyone know what breeds they might be? Thanks - from a beginner chook handler!![​IMG]

2. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Based only on looks choices are:

#1 Mojo, love the dark color with the light hackles.
    #2 Penny, like the color and overall look of him.
    #3 Coco, just a little to much color craziness for me.

If you like Mojo I would keep him, the attitude of the other roo's may change (in a bad way) once they become king of the coop.

As far as a breed they might (totally new at this) be a cross between silkie and polish and maybe something else. I am sure someone else can give you a better answer as far as the breeds. They are very cool looking barnyard mixes.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Well I like Mojo, and Penny. But that's just me. They start breeding sometime between 6 months and a year. It is different for each bird. You may find that Penny once he has his own hens will become much more dominate. Right now because they are all together they have an established pecking order. That will all change as they have their own space.

About when to separate them, can depend on the roo's. Once the fighting becomes dangerous to a point that one of roos can get really hurt, it will be very clear. I would make sure I have a place to separate them as soon as possible.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    In a mixed breed flock I'd keep the nice tempered rooster. Mr. Penny caught my eye with his nice comb and wattles.

5. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I look at temperament and would get the one that's the friendliest and most easily handled.

6. kitehawk

kitehawk New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    Thanks for your help! It may have to be Mr Penny...he is the easiest to pick up and handle. May need a name change though![​IMG]

7. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:That would be my plan of action if I could have a roo that is!

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    yay for Sir Pennington

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by