igorsMistress

Labels create division.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,

I have 6 cockerels at the moment. 4 have been selected for freezer camp, but I'm not sure which of these two to keep. I'm raising chickens for meat and eggs. Both are roughly the same size and weight. I'm planning to add straight run chicks this fall and then make final selections next spring, but I want to keep a roo from this batch since I have no idea what I'll get from those.

The white one is dominant, crows daily but is quite attentive to the pullets. The blue is subordinate, hasn't crowed to my knowledge and wants to be attentive but the white one is firmly in charge. The white one immediately responded to a pullet who was still in the coop and encouraged her to come out this morning. He'll break up fights but he doesn't run down the offender and try to beat them into submission. He's a good flock leader.

Appearance wise I like the white one more and his comb is nice and straight.

Based on appearances though, the blue boy was suggested as the keeper by someone who knows my breeding goals. I'm just not sure the blue has the leadership qualities.

Here's a caveat...I'm also keeping a tiny guy from this batch for a bit. He's a slow feathering boy with a very naked neck and chest. I plan to pen him next spring with a few girls before processing to see if I can get some pullets with that feathering for future breeding.

Thoughts? TIA.

20190804_062638-1.jpg
20190804_062625-1.jpg

Thanks to you both! I'm breeding for meat and eggs.

Curious, why the blue? Is it fullness of breast and his form in general? I'm new to selecting for meat while it's still on the move and not sure what I'm doing tbh.

I'm deciding right now too, and it can be hard.
Weight them all, and favor large over small. That favors meat quality. Egg production can be better with smaller birds, a dilemma, but unless you are doing Leghorns, egg production isn't going to be record breaking anyway.
I favor large over small, and big frame over compact, and temperament, as in not human aggressive or nasty to flockmates.
Decisions!
Mary

I've decided to keep the blue boy and my tiny slow feathering boy. I'm hatching some eggs this month and some from another source hopefully next Spring and then I can start making final decisions.
It is very tough, I've never had to decide before. 4 were out automatically based on size but the little guy is too darn cute, and little really, to put on the table yet.

I know how that goes...I had to cull my rooster that I really wanted to breed with some new pullets this year due to illness. He had a huge, straight comb and bare neck, nice straight back. He would have been a good dad too, he was already showing these guys how to forage and was totally accepting of them.

Back
Top Bottom