Which cockerel to give up?

feliciadawn

Songster
Mar 31, 2020
Delaware County (near Philly), PA
I am a first time chicken mommy with a flock of six 15-week-old chickens (1 copper marins, 2 ameraucanas, 1 olive egger, 1 cream legbar, 1 polish buff lace.). Some of my flock, two true black ameraucanas, I had to get straight run. They are my favorites, but it turns out both are cockerels. I am technically not allowed to have roosters on my property, but I am going to try to keep one as I have an understanding neighbor on one side, and an elderly hard-of-hearing neighbor on the other. Since my flock free range during the day, it would be useful to have a roo for protection.

So, the question at hand is how do I decide which to keep? As of yet, neither of the young cockerels are finding food for the ladies. In fact, when food is given out, they both eat ravenously and peck the others away. They look very very similar, with one (Adam chicken) slightly bigger and more "male". Adam crowed this morning for the first time. He is also somewhat protective -- he will come running if the others squawk. Both will peck any pullet that flutters her wings and alarms them, or that gets in their way. Adam is friendlier to me -- he will come up to me and let me pet him. But he might also be slightly more likely to peck the ladies.

I need to decide really soon which one to give up. So sad.

I would choose Adam. You always want to keep the friendlier rooster, and it sounds like he might be a better guard. They should both mostly grow out of being mean to their ladies.

Truthfully?
If you are not allowed to have crowers, get rid of them both.
You don't want to jeopardize your, or anyone else's ability to keep chicken at all.
The only reason you really need a male is to hatch out more birds.
Any other reason is personal preference.

How much space to free range?
Can you keep them on your property?
What kind of predators are there?

The chickens are in about 900 square feet of woodland garden. The two males currently are very very happy -- I don't see a reason to get rid of both of them until it comes to a point where we have tried and failed to accommodate a rooster. And of course it is personal preference to have a rooster -- but isn't it personal preference to have chickens anyway? As for noise, the city has decided to reroute the airport (10 miles away) such that landing passenger planes fly low right over our house. I don't think the roosters will be as loud as the planes. When I complain, everyone says noise pollution is the least of their issues. Let's hope they continue to have that attitude.

It's easy to misinterpret cockerel 'friendliness' when it's actually 'boldness' and turns into human aggression a bit later. It's too soon to really know how either will mature, and the other bird may become more useful a bit later. 'More likely to peck the ladies' is not an endorsement either, but again, they are both young, and have no adults to teach better behavior.
The sound of crowing travels, at least a quarter mile, and having critters who are against the law where you live could cause problems for you. Fines? Court appearances? Confiscated birds? At least find out what lies ahead for you and your flock over this!
Mary

It's easy to misinterpret cockerel 'friendliness' when it's actually 'boldness' and turns into human aggression a bit later. It's too soon to really know how either will mature, and the other bird may become more useful a bit later. 'More likely to peck the ladies' is not an endorsement either, but again, they are both young, and have no adults to teach better behavior.
The sound of crowing travels, at least a quarter mile, and having critters who are against the law where you live could cause problems for you. Fines? Court appearances? Confiscated birds? At least find out what lies ahead for you and your flock over this!
Mary
If you're insisting on keeping one (I'd probably try to do the same even if that is breaking the rules), I think I'd wait until they were 4-5 months old because that's when they are reaching peak sexual maturity and you'll get to experience them at peak-hormone level. You'll get the most accurate sense of which one is better. I've never been in your shoes before though!

I just rehomed my two 12 week old cockerels today. I did find a good home for them on a farm with lots of other chickens. They weren’t really mean yet but they were already bossing some of my other females around and I have neighbors in close proximity so I didn’t want to keep them but I sobbed as they drove off…crazy, I know.
630E6FFC-39D2-4C19-8D6A-6CDC4716146B.jpeg

I just rehomed my two 12 week old cockerels today. I did find a good home for them on a farm with lots of other chickens. They weren’t really mean yet but they were already bossing some of my other females around and I have neighbors in close proximity so I didn’t want to keep them but I sobbed as they drove off…crazy, I know.
View attachment 2261493
Its always hard to give up a part of your flock.:(

Back
Top Bottom