Which Coturnix strain?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by motorwaycones, Feb 26, 2014.

1. motorwaycones

motorwaycones New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    Hello,

I'm counting down the days until my set up is complete and I can go pick up my quail. However the breeder I'm looking at has four strains of the coturnix - the Japanese, italian, tuxedo and white. They've said I should only keep one strain per pen so I was wondering which strain to get and the pros and cons of each.

I'm keeping them as pets, and for a few eggs. I have a set up easily large enough for more but I only intend on keeping 4 for now, 1 male and 3 females. I can't be certain but it seems the japanese lay larger eggs, is this true? Are any strains better for handling or less likely to scare and fly?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to do all my research properly before picking up the birds.

Thanks!

2. falconertomt

falconertomt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    Utah
    What are you going to do with them?

If you are looking for meat birds, the larger bodied strains (A&M, Jumbo) are the route you want to take.
    If you want them for eggs, they all do that pretty well.
    If you want pretty (showy) birds, pick the color morph that you like.

3. falconertomt

falconertomt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    Utah
    Of course I missed the part where you answered my question.... derp.

Id say pick the breed you like the look of the best. If you want them for pets. Eggs will come, if you provide the proper conditions. I would assume that the larger breeds lay larger eggs, but I do not know if there is a morph that does big eggs.

4. pigeons in ak

pigeons in ak Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    Alaska
    They probably want the colours to breed true that is why they said to keep them in separate pens but you can keep all the strains together and create new colours out of those four strains

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Some saying you can't mix colors is just silly. I don't have a single cage with just one color of coturnix in it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. motorwaycones

motorwaycones New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    Thanks for all the info, I'm now thoroughly confused as to why they would say that if it's not the case then! I did tell the farm I just wanted them as pets but they literally replied 'You need to keep with one strain for one hutch' It does explain why I couldn't find any information as to why you wouldn't want this, or which is better!

The only problem now is that based on your advice I'd really like to get different coloured ones but it seems that they might not sell them to me if they know I intend on mixing them. I don't think I'll ever breed them so I'm not worried about keeping them 'pure', I just wanted some pretty birds!

I think I'll have to find somewhere else to buy them in the South-East of England.

Thanks for the advice!

7. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

You could do a few different things.

Check the Buy Sell Trade section here on BYC

Get a couple of each color and tell the guy you are keeping them in a stackable cage. If they adults you will need to acclimate them to each other by placing the cages side by side in full view for a week or two before mixing them.

Check your local equivalent of craigslist for breeders in your area.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by