Which Courtnix??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by anthonyjames, Jan 12, 2010.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    I have a breeder close by that has like 12 different types some of which are Jumbos and some Jumbo A & M's. I plan on getting A & M's for sure to raise for meat and hatch some eggs. But I am unsure of which courtnix would be the best for eggs and meat.

Any recommendations?

2. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    I have jumbo eggs in my bator, I hope they hatch!! I think all cotrunix lay like demons.. so just pick a large quail...

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    All coturnix are equally capable of the same laying rate--- there's no difference between colors. With proper care and ideal conditions a coturnix hen is capable of up to 300 eggs/year.

4. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    I think the jumbos are the largest for meat and the largest eggs. The different colors can be harder to sex. Goldens, and jumbo browns are easy to sex visually so if you don't care about the color of the bird and are having a lot this might be something to consider.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine!! [​IMG]

Seriously though, jumbos are the largest, though as for egg size, my whites lay eggs just as big as the jumbos' eggs are. But there are different 'sizes' of jumbos, some as little as 10 ounces, some up to 14. They are supposed to get to 1 pound (16 ounces), but I've not seen anyone saying they have those.

6. darkfur

darkfur Chillin' With My Peeps

you're better off with the smaller bird for eggs as the egg size is very similar and the smaller birds are eating less feed to make the same number of eggs

7. worldling

worldling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Quote:I got trashed by a friend for saying that in another thread, but RIGHT ON darkfur!
    I think I just count to many beans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by