Which digital thermometer?

Annalisa

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 9, 2009
So, bought a little giant 9200.

I do NOT like this little mercury thermometer that came with it. I'd prefer a digital one that shows exact temps. I need one cheap ($10 or less) that will sit on top of my eggs. I've got your basic digital medicine cabinet thermometer, but I'd have to open the bator every time to start it.

I wonder if I could stick a digital meat thermometer through the styrofoam and line it up with the top of the eggs. But not sure if a meat thermometer would read air temp very well. Or if it's all the same.

TIA for the help. I'd like to get my duck eggs in by next week!

babsbag

Songster
10 Years
Jan 12, 2010
Anderson, CA
I have 2 digital ones, both from Walmart. They work...I think. I am going to spend the money and buy a real one. There is an awful lot depending on temps that might be wrong because of a cheap thermometer. I know the hygrometers on these same units are 8% off so that doesn't give me much faith in the temp being correct.

I have also put a digital meat thermometer in the incubator and it seems to register ok, but a little different reading than the ones from Walmart. Since I don't know which one is right, so that is why I want to buy a good one.

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
i bought a thermometer/hygrometer (in one unit) at petsmart for 24 bucks and it's digital. they had a non-digital one for 12 bucks which is the one i wanted, but it was broken and they only had one! so i bought the digital one. the temp on it says 99.5 - 99.8......but the regular thermometr that came with the bator says 101. so i hope the digital is right. i'm hatching 12 showgirl eggs (one is a silkie).....i just read somewhere on BYC lastnight that silkie/showgirl eggs are hard to hatch.....that has me a bit concerned.....only time will tell. i put them in the bator lastnight before i went to bed. so today is day 1.
fl.gif

Last edited:

Top Bottom