which do I choose for the first time?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chayton, Oct 28, 2009.

1. chayton

chayton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Weatherford, TX
    I am about to purchase some eggs to hatch for my granddaughter and I also have a place to raise the birds once hatched.

My question: I only want to start with a dozen or so chickens and I have a choice of RED STAR/BARRED ROCK or AMERAUCANA WHICH DO I CHOOSE???

PLEASE HELP NEED TO BUY EGGS IN ORDER FOR THEM TO HATCH WHEN SHE VISITS OVER THANKSGIVING

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Welcome to BYC!
    Why not get both? Nothing says you have to raise only one breed and the Ameraucana (easter eggers, probably) should give you some pretty colored eggs; green or blue.

3. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] from MN!

Why not get some of each for a colorful egg basket!

4. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    [​IMG]

I agree, why not 6 of each?

5. chayton

chayton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Weatherford, TX
    I'm only going to do 12 eggs and I have to choose from those two breeds from the dealer. 12 of each and a possibility of 20 birds is deeper than I want to wade into now

6. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    I personally like Ameraucanas. Do you know if they are true Ameraucanas or easter eggers? Either way, mine are all very sweet, pretty, chatty birds.

Have you looked at the breeds section of Backyard chickens? You could do a side by side comparison!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:If they won't let you split the order so you can have both I guess it depends on what you're looking for. The red star/barred rock cross will probably be a more reliable layer, but your granddaughter will most likely get a huge kick out of the blue/green/pink eggs that the EE's will lay. My EE's are ok layers, but not as prolific as either the barred rocks or red sex links that I have.

I agree with everyone else though. Try to talk them into letting you split the order and get both! Let the addiction begin. [​IMG]

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I have a tiny flock, only 5, two of which are a Barred Rock and an EE. I'm not familiar with Red Star, so don't know what that combo would do. EEs are supposed to be very docile and friendly. But my barred rock is my most friendly and curious bird. However, if you want variety in looks, then the EEs would be good, since they all seem to look a little different. They seem to lay later too though...

9. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have a variety and love my EE's but my BR is the friendliest. Either way, you won't be disappointed and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by