1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which do you like the best.?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Nov 26, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Which of the these two breeds do you like the best or would prefer to have if you were getting some, between Plymouth Rocks or Standard Cochins, particularly the Partridge color, but which breed would you prefer? I've had experience with Barred Rock and I know they are GREAT birds, and I would imagine other Rock varieties would be great too. Though I have never had any experience with Cochins, I like their large,fluffy appearance, but I don't know much about them as a breed,(laying, temperment, etc...)

So which of the two breeds would you like and why. If you have any pics of the Partridge variety of these two breeds or know of a good source to get them, that would be great too. Thanks

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have LF partridge cochins. They are sweet and pretty- even the roosters. However- they take soooo long to develop, and the leg feathering leaves much to be desired. I have yet to see any in person that are truely "cochin fluff balls". They look more like brahmas.
    I'd like to have a few partridge rocks, but I already have welsummers in my flock, so I'm getting a pretty wild-type coloring, plus dark eggs.
    Have you found good partridge rocks somewhere? Heard they were pretty hard to come by.

3. I love the Cochins and i still have a big 'ol nasty cochin roo that I just adore. But, they have a real problem in the summer months and the hens in particular can die from the heat.

I have White, partirdge and a barred Plymouth Rock bird. I love the roo (white) and the hens are simply gorgeous. The partridge and barred are very pretty, but the do not seem to be as large as the whites.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Thanks for your input, And I know good quality Partridge Rocks are hard to come by, I found a lady near me that had some from a hatchery and I had already talked myself out of them, then when I when to her house to get another roo, she had already sold them, but she does have young Partridge Cochins that she will be raising. But really I think I am wanting the Rocks the rocks, I would like to try to improve the Partridge and maybe use them in projects. I found a man at a livestock sale one time that had raised his certain line since he was in highschool, and I am going back to the sale tomorrow and hopefully he will be their too. And I can plan to get some from him instead of from a hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by