which do you like?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sunshine Hen, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Sunshine Hen

Sunshine Hen In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I was just wondering, I live in Conneticut and I want to know if these breeds are good and which you would choose: Buff Orpington, Black Australorp or Silver Laced Wyandotte. Are they ok? Which breed is friendlier??
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Songster

Mar 28, 2007
    all of the breeds you mention are good.the australopes are laying machines.they lay alot of eggs.

3. Rooster01

Rooster01 Songster

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    Out of those, Australorps will lay the best. And they are very friendly.

4. Saltiena

Saltiena Songster

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    I personaly adore the Buff Orpingtons but thats just me (and some other people)

5. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Funny coincidence...I ordered 8 of each of the breeds you mentioned (Australorp, Buff Orpington, S-L Wyandottes) plus Light Brahmas. The Light Brahmas at this time are the more viable, friendly chicks followed by the S-L Wyandottes. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the breeds you mentioned.

Andy

6. bigzio

bigzio Crowing

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sunshine Hen, I would consider the fact that Black Australorps have a single comb, which are most prone to frostbite, something that is really worth considering.

bigzio

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Crowing

Wyandottes are my favorite of those three. [​IMG]

8. Picco

Picco Songster

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    SL Wyandottes are wonderful. They are in my opinion the most beautiful standard chicken. They lay a lot of eggs and can become quite tame. Here are a few pictures of my girls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. MRBIG

MRBIG In the Brooder

They are very cool looking chickens

10. Foghorn

Foghorn Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    I am currently raising the same chickens that you want. I am in Connecticut also. In my incubator I have Silver Lace Wyandottes and Ameraucanas. The only chickens I really want next, badly, are Blue Lace Wyandottes. A couple of Hotwings and Nuggets would be great! Right CarriBrown?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: