Which do you prefer for laying, RIR's, Wht Leghorns, or Red Sexlinks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msgenie516, Feb 27, 2009.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I would like to add a few new layers this spring and I can't decide...

I have had RIR's and White Leghorns in the past, never any Red Sexlinks but I have heard they are good layers.

My experience has been that the RIR's are the best and the White Leghorns come in a weak second. Of course, I may have gotten some not-so-good quality chicks (have only 3 Leghorns anyway, not much for comparison). I have 4 RIR pullets that are FANTASTIC, and 6 much older RIR hens that still produce well considering their age.

I do sell some eggs, but never from the older hens as not only has the quality gone down (blood/meat spots in the eggs, shells thinner that I would like to see no matter how much calcium they have available) but their eggs have gotten so large that I can't fit them into the largest egg carton (unless I get some for duck eggs, I guess). So these are the ones I use and give my neighbors (they understand). I usually get 3-4 eggs a day from the 6 older hens.

And like I said, I have no personal experience with the Red Sexlinks.

I know the White Leghorns are a bit flighty but mine has become quite tame, so that is really not an issue. Also, egg color doesn't really matter.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Genie

2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    rirs and sexlinks

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Our RIRs have laid constanly all winter long with no added light, 4 to 5 eggs aday from 5 hens. [​IMG]

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Isn't it an Austrolorp that set the record for laying eggs? I like the Aussies and RIR best just cause they're purty but my little red sex link is a laying machine. Had someone tell me though that the length of time she can produce eggs is shorter than some of the heritage breeds of chicken. I don't know if that's true.

5. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    RIR's are hard to beat. My sex-links come very close, though. I like them both. They are tame, and like little egg laying machines. I have never had leghorns, but my neighbor does. They seem to be good layers, too. The queens of the run are my ducks. They outlay both breeds.

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:Yes, you know, I think you're right about the Australorp. I didn't even think of them and I really like the Black Australorps. I have a pullet that just started laying eggs and I THINK she is some kind of Black Australorp/EE mix. I LOVE her and she lays GREEN eggs (they were a real surprise). Only two so far, but the second was much larger than the first already! Thank you for mentioning the Australorps. Wow, this is getting confusing, too many choices! Genie

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Sexlinks are my choice for layers of the ones you asked about! Does not matter if they are Black, red or whatever, thay lay wonderful and are very sweet birds.

Actually, the Black Australorps do lay tons of huge brown eggs. They are a wonderful choice as well. I have some that lay like crazy [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  8. mom2fourbebes

mom2fourbebes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    RIR. Mine lays with or without light, winter, summer, fall, spring...whatever season and time...she lays and has been consistent...and very, very sweet!

9. Texgran

Texgran Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Aubrey, Texas
    All of these are great layers. We love our egg layers and we keep several breeds most of the time. Our go to breed is the Australorp:clap. We've had them for years, through floods, droughts, prolonged record high temps, and freezes. I'm in Texas so we don't have prolonged freezing temps, I wouldn't know about that. They never miss a lick. When they do molt it's quick and they are back to business as usual.
    I guess what I'm saying is that if I had to pick one breed it would be the Aussie.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  10. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    prob leg horns but RIR r great layers too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by