Which do you think is going to lay first?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lightchick, Aug 30, 2014.

1. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Hi! I have two sex links that are 17 weeks old. Which one do you think is going to lay first? Will they start any time now? Thanks for your help!
    Pepsi my Black sex link.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pumpkin my Brown sex link.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would personally guess Pepsi, but they look very similar in terms of maturity. Are they "squatting" when you reach down to pet them yet?

I'd say that you'll get eggs within the next two weeks.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  3. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Not that I've noticed yet. Pepsi likes jumping on my lap a lot. I've noticed that they seem to be inside the coop more often.

4. Quickster

Quickster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    I say Pumpkin. She is more red. But I think both will get bigger redder combs before they lay.

5. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    They are 19 weeks old now and Pepsi has the biggest and reddest comb so far. I hope to start getting eggs soon!

6. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    My pullet that appeared to be the most mature for 6 or so weeks before they started laying ended up being the last to lay. You just never can tell. She had the biggest and reddest comb and wattles and came in dead last in the laying race. You're getting close now I bet!

7. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Got great news! I got my first egg today! I don't know which one it's from, but I think it's probably from my Black star Pepsi because she has the largest and reddest comb, but the post above is worrying me because I would like to know who is laying when and what.
    The egg is about half the size of the eggs we've been getting from a local farm. I don't want to break it yet.
    I'll try to take pics of both my Black sex link and my Brown sex link tomorrow so I can show you them and hopefully get some advice on who laid the egg. I free range my chickens mostly so I they might have been laying somewhere outside before this because today they had to stay in the coop because I was gone all day and we live in town and I only free range when I'm home and can check on them every now and then.
    I think this is the FIRST egg ever though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Here's a better pic of the egg the shows it's true color and size.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's updated pics of all my girls.
    Pepsi (these pics aren't from the camera so they aren't as good a quality as I'd like them to be).
    [​IMG]
    Pumpkin
    [​IMG]
    Sweetie
    [​IMG]
    Lexi
    [​IMG]

9. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Is it possible that my chickens could be laying their eggs out in the woods or something? It's kinda weird that the first egg I get was when they had to be locked in the coop all day and then I haven't gotten another egg today when they are allowed to free range in my yard.
    There was only one egg, but maybe the one that laid the egg has been laying somewhere else? I did notice that my Brown sex link's comb seemed to turn lighter in color a week or so ago and I read that that's one of the signs? But maybe it just looks lighter because my Black sex link's comb has grown and turned much redder. I really don't know......should I be getting a egg a day since I got one yesterday?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by