Which do you think is the dumbest breed of chickens?

Which breed of chicken is the dumbest?

• Sexlink

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • silkie

• sussex

• Orpington

• Cochin

• Spanish

• Welsummer

• Cornish cross

• Plymouth rock

• wyandotte

• leghorn

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Brahma

• Langshan

• Barnevelder

• Minorca

• Fayoumi

• Buckeye

• Naked Neck

• Buttercup

• Sultan

• Total voters

houndit

There is no H or F in Orpington!
14 Years
Jul 13, 2008
Braymer Missouri
I thought it would be fun to see what others thought. I put ones that I have been told are really dumb, or that I think are really dumb. If the one you vote for is not in the poll just post it and I will add it up. Please also fill out the smartest breed poll. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3467895#p3467895 See total responses on post 42.

Last edited:
You need to add Polish - I've heard they are prone to early brain injury because of their tufts and because they can't see and react to things too late.

Mine's not an option-my poor little Silver Lakenvelders are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but they are the sweetest! Have to shoo the poor babies into the run door almost every night(I think they believe I move it on them).

I think they are all equally very stupid
big_smile.png

I picked leghorns - spastic birds. Experiences with leghorns almost turned me off to chickens permanently.
I don't think polish are stupid, only handicapped because of the head fluff.

Of our various hens, it's the Buff Orpingtons, big and lovely as they are, who seem dumb as stumps compared to the others. Whatever is going on, they are the ones to stand and gawk, walk around, and act as if they haven't a clue as to "how to eat it," how to play, how to scratch, or whatever. They just seem dull in comparison. For example, if I'm handing out treats, the other hens will crowd around, snatch nibbles from my finger tips, bump others out of their way. With the Buffs, I can pitch a halved grape or worm right in front of them and they'll simple look, tilt their heads, and...stand there while a rival snatches their treats away. Yes, of all our hens, it's the Buffs who seem to have fewer brain cells working! ~G

Back
Top Bottom