Which drake to keep?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welshies, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    So I recently acquired six ducks- they are now 10 weeks and soon it will be time to let some go. I have 3 pure Rouens, one RouenxRunner, and two RouenxSaxony (these are my favorites)
    [​IMG]
    I have at least 2 drakes. So far, I have 2 Rouen hens and 1 silver hen. I love the silvers! The drake is stocky, calm, quiet, and tame!
    But I can't decide who to keep or let go. I love the silvers but next year I wanted to sell some ducklings. Would the silver ones still go for a fair amount?
    Or should I keep a Rouen drake because either way the combination will be AAB? That way I get the best of both even though then my favorite would have to go. :(

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have two Drakes I am keeping. I have a Call Duck drake and a Rouen. I am keeping a Call Duck hen and a Buff this year to raise my own Ducklings. They would be fine till spring..Sometimes they never have a problem? If they do? I will separate during breeding season.
    Try it? Keep two. I would.

3. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks! I really can't stand the thought of my favorite going away! :love He's such a pet!

4. chickens really

I know what your saying!! I fell in love with Lucky my Call Duck Drake...Then D.W. is a sweetie too...Have to keep both. It will work as long as I can make it work..Good luck....I think its going to be fine as long as I do the proper separation during breeding season.
    My friend always has great success.

5. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    When is the breeding season? Isn't it spring and fall (when the males get their green heads for Rouens)?

6. chickens really

Yours is this years hatch as are mine...They might get silly this fall but in general it will be next spring, hot and heavy around March till end of May. For us here in Alberta anyways.

7. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Okay. Thanks :)
    I wasn't sure if they'd try in fall just because it can get so chilly around here.
    The drakes only need to be seperated in breeding season correct?

8. chickens really

Thats correct...My friend says her Drakes are great all summer and fall with the hens. its spring they are fighting and mounting hens like crazy.
    Our climate slows them down.

9. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, as long as I can handle them this fall next spring we are building another 4-season duck tractor, so I can seperate the two with a few hens in each. I have space for 10 ducks in my current one but I also don't want to crowd them by getting the correct ratio of hens. Plus it's hard to find ducks around here. :/

10. chickens really

Another thing you can do is only have the Drakes in a pen? Then allow them access to hens a few hours a day. Kijiji has a guy who makes Duck Tractors, he is by Westlock I think?
    Lots of Ducks here in my neck of the woods...I will sell you some next year..;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by