Which duck breeds can go together?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Zaxby's2, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I've been looking into ducks and want to get a variety, however I'm not sure if they'll get along. What breeds can't go together? Also I've heard there are bantam ducks? Is this true? And can you mix bantam ducks and normal sized ones? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    its not the breed that you would be concerned with. You can mix pretty much all breeds. I have around 15 breeds of ducks, all living together [​IMG]

yes, There are bantam ducks. You can keep them with regular ducks. I keep my calls with my jumbo pekins. [​IMG]

3. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    You can keep just any any breed together but each duck is an individual so you would have to play it by ear to make sure no one is getting hassled

4. Peeper

Peeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Little Rock, AR
    I have call ducks, mallards, khaki campbells, and muskovies all ages and sexes running loose in my yard. They all get along. Even my emu gets in the pool with them with no problem![​IMG]

5. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Thanks! What breeds are bantam breeds? Also, the person I'll be getting them from(if I do get some) has crested ducks, what kind are they? How is there temperament and broodiness? Oh, and what breeds go broody often? I've heard ducks are bad moms, is this true?

6. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Zaxby's2 :

Thanks! What breeds are bantam breeds? Also, the person I'll be getting them from(if I do get some) has crested ducks, what kind are they? How is there temperament and broodiness? Oh, and what breeds go broody often? I've heard ducks are bad moms, is this true?

Bantam breeds are called Call ducks. Crested ducks have a hole in their skull that creates the "crest". Almost any breed can be a Crested duck. http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=395383 Here is the Duck Comparison, by Metzers Farm. Mallards are the best moms, but Mallards are hard to keep because of their ability to fly. Also the ducks on the comparison page are only the ones Metzers raise so their are certain breeds not included on the list. Good luck on your decision! [​IMG]

7. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Are call ducks a breed of their own, or can multiple breeds be a call duck? Also, do mallards stay at home, or will they fly away? Can you clip their wings?

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just a word about broodies. It seems to vary by individual duck. Sepp Holzer has runners and he writes that his runner moms are good duck moms, as he has encouraged the better mothers in each generation. I have four runners who get broody, and two in particular are amazing. Right now they are setting a nest together. Literally. They sit together on the nest. Funf usually sits over Sechs, as if to protect her. They are both wonderful. But since there are no drakes in the flock, I won't know if they would really be successful moms. I have considered putting fertile eggs under them next year with an incubator set up as a backup.

9. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    Call Ducks are not the only bantam duck, Mallards and east indies are the only other two standard bantam breeds of ducks. I love calls. They have a TON of colors and variety. They are really small as ducklings, and can also fly as adults... [​IMG]

10. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Wait, so mallards are bantams too? And about call ducks flying can you clip their wings or is no use? Sorry for all the questions. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by