which duck? its been decided and its not the call or the harliqueins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stillmecle, Oct 28, 2011.

1. stillmecle

stillmecle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    Which duck would you get.... welsh harlequin or snowy calls. And why would you get the one you chose?

The welsh harlequins will not be making their way iowa

I have found 2 new dusks: Pom sweden and Cayuga. I kmow t nothig about the Cayuga. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:D..nl

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    To me it would all depend on what you want them for. I love the look of both but I think I would choose the calls before the harlequins just because they are adorable. But harlequins are great layers. [​IMG]

3. stillmecle

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    I want them just as pets and possibly breeding. Which one makes more noise and easier to take care of?

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    personally i love the way harlequins look much more than calls, plus they're much better layers. i've never actually owned either, but the ones i've met of both breeds have had great temperments. harlequins for layers, calls are easier to handle for show, either for pets (but again, calls are easier to handle even if harlequins make pretty pets). also bear in mind that calls are VERY noisy! i also LOVE east indies. they're quieter than calls, but similarly sized and tempered and absolutly beautiful, particularly the blacks [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  5. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I agree with tinychicky about the noise. I have heard that calls are very very loud. I love the cuteness of the calls. But harlequins are very beautiful ducks as well. I have heard some people say that their harlequins are nice but I thing it is as with every duck it all depends on how much time you spend with them.

Oh east indies are SOOOOOO pretty!!!!!!! They are adorable and beautiful at the same time.

6. stillmecle

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    I wish I could find some East Indies here. I think they are beautiful. I have looked and looked here but none to be found.

7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    My welsh harlequins are not nearly as noisy as my calls were. Those call were LOUD! I love my whelshies... And if you want some hatching eggs PM me. I could send you some in spring.

Oh and lovin my birds, welsh harlequis are cute to [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  8. stillmecle

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    I am suppose to get a drake and hen welsh harlequins right around the time my babies are to be hatched. I have to drive almost to MO to get them

9. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Calls ARE reputed to be loud. They are called "call" ducks because they were bred to be a living lure for duck hunters. They would be set out on the marsh, and "call" the mallards. The practice has since been outlawed.

Welshies have a reputation of being very calm and very smart ducks (the polar opposite of runners I hear.) Mine don't seem to be all that noisy, but they're in a mixed flock with campbells and a few different breeds.

Ideal hatchery offers day old east indie ducklings in the spring. I'm torn between ordering some from them, or ordering silkies from holderread for my kids' 4H projects. Holderread also had indies in their catalog but I don't see them in the price list. They've been phasing out some of their breeds for a while and they might not have them anymore. Either way I'm picking up a handful of nice bantams from somewhere [​IMG]

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Our call girls were so old this year we 9 migrating mallard and a few young land here and stay for weeks. Yep they are LOUD. Gotta love them though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by