Which duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicks Galore3, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I was going to get some khaki campbell ducks this summer, but I just discovered the hatchery I am buying from no longer offers them. These are my choices -
    Pekin
    Rouen
    Mallard

Which duck lays the best? How well does each breed fly?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Mallards fly very well. Pekins and Rouens are too heavy to really fly, not to say they won't try, but they aren't going to make it very far off the ground and not make it far if they do.

3. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I have 2 Pekins (males) they def are not flying anywhere they are huge!!! My Rouens (girls) never seen them attempt to fly don't believe they can, they lay daily for me. And about every other day in the winter however im in the south.

4. pauljodebest

pauljodebest New Egg

May 27, 2014
    Most Pekin strains will lay better than Mallards or Rouens. If you are looking for egg production, Campbells and their cousins the Welsh Harlequin are hard to beat for efficient egg production. For meat production Pekins grow the fastest, but tend to be VERY fatty. Rouens are slower growing than Pekins, but produce better quality meat.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have the pekin, they lay very well but are big birds so keep that in mind loud too. Mallards as said fly, the other breeds simply do not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by