Which Ducks to get?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hemlock Spurs, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Hemlock Spurs

Hemlock Spurs New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    Virginia, USA
    I would like to have a few ducks around along with the chickens. Don't have a 'Pond' but do have two seeps & a creek in a woods. I can dam up the seeps to make small ponds. My question is - Which duck breed is OK with less water resources. I was told i have to get a minimum of five ducks and that's the plan.

Thanks.

2. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    It really depends on what you are looking for. I think most folks who have backyard ducks keep wading pools for their flocks.
    What do you want from your ducks?
    Garden patrol? Looks? Eggs? Meat? All of the above?

I think that you will get a TON of answers as to what ducks are best.
    I love my Anconas for foragers, though they have not laid an egg yet. They are pretty, hardy, happy with their pools. I am adding 2 Welsh Harlequin females & a Cayuga female this spring. I want the Cayuga for sheer prettiness, and the WH to lay tons of eggs for my baking.
    The Anconas demolished my Japanese Beetles last year without ruining the garden like the chickens, and the pool water was amazing for my garden.

Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks has a very informative section on many of the backyard breeds - common & uncommon - that you may find helpful.

3. Hemlock Spurs

Hemlock Spurs New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    Virginia, USA
    Well that's a good question.

My answer would be; looks, garden patrol; & eggs. In that order.

Thanks. I'll check out that book.

4. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

Welsh Harlequin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by