Which eggs should I throw out??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oliviad51, Aug 18, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Its day 20.

Most of the eggs look like this which is a good sign, I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should I throw out the ones that look like this??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it may be a stupid question, but I would hate to throw out eggs that have life in them

2. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    First day 20 is LOCKDOWN! eeeekkkk! [​IMG] LOL Not trying to sound mean! but they should not be candled after day 18. but yes the clear ones ar not gonna do anything. They are chicken eggs correct? 18-21 is lock down! No touching/turning/nothing! just temp and humidity. I crank my humidity up as high as I can70-80%! I have had a few go as far as day 25 so be patient! Temp and weather can affect the hatching times. I have had several experiences with a storm front comming through and my hatches delayed 2-3 days every time!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  3. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    no, these are guinea eggs! sorry I forgot to mention that

4. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    OH, Ok LOL! But it does appear that the same would apply as too the clear eggs.. I am not sure! I don't know anything about them! Sorry! I would think if some are that far developed that the others should at least be close to the same?

Good Luck and God Bless!

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I hatched out guineas - at day 20 I would have tossed those clear ones. You are doing a much better job at candling then I did! Mine were too dark to see but I did manage to get rid of all my clears but one. Just a warning, my guineas started hatching at day 23!

6. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    wow, ok..the temperature was a tiny bit high every now and then but it looks like most of them are still living. I will probably have some early peeps too.

7. suburbanchx

suburbanchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Which day is lockdown for guinea eggs then??

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Well, guineas are supposed to hatch at 28 days but I started seeing pips before I even got the turner out. [​IMG] I'd lockdown no later than 24, personally (of course, mine started pipping the evening before I was planning to lock down since everyone told me guineas hatch early, around day 25 or 26). Figures mine started hatching in the turner! I still got 21/29 hatched, so it worked out ok. Only lost a few due to shrinkwrapping (since I locked down after they pipped, I assume).

9. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I will probably lock down tuesday, in 6 days. Does that sound okay?? Also, before I lock down, I will fill up the water trays in the bottom of the incubator. Should I also put a wet sponge or a little cup of water in the incubator to raise the humidity? I don't have any way to tell how high the humidity is, I just keep the trays full of water.

10. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by