Which end goes up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mother hen to many!, Dec 10, 2008.

1. mother hen to many!

mother hen to many! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    So when I put the eggs in the carton to put them in the fridge. Which end goes up? And why? Please help me.....

2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    If your just going to eat them it doesn't matter. BUT if you plan on hatching them the pointy end goes down so that the air sac is at the big end. As the chick develops, it will need the larger end to grow in. The smaller or pointy end just isn't big enough and cramps it style. I just make it a habit of always putting the pointy end down.

3. mother hen to many!

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    Then I am going to start doing that too. Thank you.

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    if you are saving in an egg carton till you get enough to hatch, every time you add eggs to the carton, you need to turn the other eggs, but when you set to hatch pointy ends go up.
    at least that is what I read, and I do, I don't know about others.

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Nooo, I don't think so. The pointy ends go down. And you don't need to turn the eggs while collecting them though you can tilt the egg carton one way and then another at a later time. It's only after you set them in the incubator that you need to turn them (I think). Some people put the eggs, pointy end down, in cardboard egg cartons for the first 18 days.

6. mother hen to many!

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    I think I have confused everyone. I am talking about eggs I eat. I haven't learned enough to incubate eggs yet. I just thought there was a certain way you had to put the eggs in a carton to put them in the fridge till you eat them. I didn't even know you could put bater eggs in the fridge. I am sorry.

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    In that case, it doesn't matter how you place them! [​IMG]

8. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i have always put the pointy size down, but that is mostly because the eggs are so "fat" on one end. they just fit better that way [​IMG]

9. mother hen to many!

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    Quote:Can ya tell I am new! lol. Sorry. I am glad it don't matter tho. I thought I was doing something wrong. [​IMG]

10. corydonald

corydonald Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2008
    my coop
    fat end up lol [​IMG] [​IMG]<don t put them pointy end up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by