which end is up??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CHKNFMR, Jun 12, 2008.

1. CHKNFMR

CHKNFMR Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    GA
    The person I am getting some eggs from told me that you place pheasant eggs small end up while incubating. I thought all eggs were placed small end down, espically if you have them resting in egg cartons during the incubating. I was also told that it is okay to leave the eggs turning right up until they hatch, instead of taking them out and laying them on their side or leave them sitting in the carton to hatch. I have only hatched chicken and quail, no pheasant. I always stopped turning for the last 3-4 days and kept them small end down. Is there a difference in hatching methods (other than length of days) of different fowl? Already got the bator on and warmed up, getting the eggs tonight. Do I need to change the way I hatch this batch????

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Never small end up! incubate pheasant as you would chicken, they take 23 days. You could hatch them upright if you like. Large end up of course:)

3. CHKNFMR

CHKNFMR Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    GA
    Thanks. That's what I thought, too. Ended up with 29 pheasant eggs and 71 quail in the bator. I will be waist deep in birds within a month!!!![​IMG]

4. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I can think of worse things to be waist deep in!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by