Which feed to give!???

chanty

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 29, 2011
I have 3 chanteclercs that are about 11 weeks old and have been on chick starter until the other day. I just introduced 2 red Bovan girls that are about 20 weeks old and ready to lay. I have been giving them both the feed between the starter and the layer pellets called chick grower. They get outside every day to eat on the pasture. Soon I'll have my chicken tractor so I can give the older ones layer pellets in the tractor and grower feed to the younger ones in their run, but when they are together I am giving them grower feed. I read that I shouldn't give layer pellets until the chickens are ready to lay, like about 18 months. What to do?

Thank you coyote magic...I am confused though, I thought the layer pellets had the ingredients necessary for laying. Is that only during the winter months? I live in a cold winter climate.

Fred's Hens :

The only thing unique about layer feed is the calcium additive. If you provide adequate calcium through re-feeding egg shells or crushed oyster shells, layer feed is not required.

What Fred Said!
thumbsup.gif

Plus feed like Flock Raiser has higher protien than most layer feeds 20% I feed it to everybody. Chicks, Layers, Guineas, Quail. It's for a mixed flock.​

I heard that oyster shells have high metal content and since i am trying to raise my chicksters organically and as additive and chemical free as possible, this worries me a bit.

is the higher protein supposed to be good or bad for layers then? I've heard both. I heard you need lower while they develop so they don't lay too early and mess up internal organs, is it ok once they start to lay? since mine freerange all day i was thinking maybe they would need higher protein, since they eat less feed.

It is confusing when you have mixed ages. The young pullets can have problems due to the calcium in the layer pellets. I always switch to flock when I have a mixed group with free choice oyster shell. I have heard about the metal in oyster, but I would rather give the oyster than risk having internal problems with my girls later on. I have never heard of anyone experiencing problems with the oyster shell. So....I continue with the oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom