Which feeder and waterer are best for..

Hotelclepto

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
My chicks are constantly kicking and clogging there feeders and waterers with wood shavings. Which would u recommend that wont get so clogged? Or is there such a thing? I've tried putting paper towels down but it's no use. Thanks! :)

I hang mine... as chicks in the brooder barely elevated so they can still drink and in the coop i have feeders on two 6x6's side by side slightly buried in shavings and as of right now waterers are on heated stands that keep them up enough to keep them clean

Thank you! I will try elevating them. I don't have anything to hang the feeders from so ill see if elevating them a bit helps.

So far so good. I used an old board game that my daughter doesn't really care for anymore.

My chicks are constantly kicking and clogging there feeders and waterers with wood shavings. Which would u recommend that wont get so clogged? Or is there such a thing? I've tried putting paper towels down but it's no use. Thanks!
smile.png

I put mine up on a little fine-mesh grate so the poo and water can drip through ... it is like the cardboard box idea someone else posted, but maybe more permanent.

Chicks always scratch everything into both food & water dishes.....Try making less access holes or smaller ones.....I started my chicks with an antique porcelain soup ladle, covered by plastic peanut can lid w/ oval hole cut into it, held together with a rubber band....it hangs from the side of a clear storage container 3-4" off the floor.....A quail waterer has a very narrow opening,limiting what can get in....Chicken water nipples are the BOMB!.....use a catch pan & paper towels to absorb excess water underneath........A soda bottle bird feeder w/ screw on base doesn't allow the birds to stand on the top of the feeder.....This only works with several chicks, not dozens. .. . . . If you bought a feeder with 6 or more holes, try duct taping a few shut if you have fewer chicks......elevating the feeders &waterers definately helps, but only if they cannot stand on top....Trial & error tested... :)

Back
Top Bottom