Which feeder to get?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by la dee da, Dec 6, 2011.

1. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Hey everyone! So after a year and a half our coop is nearly complete! The problem is there are so many feeder options I don't know what to choose! Is metal or plastic best and why? I'm also trying to decide which of these designs would be best to prevent spilled food.

This kind I can get cheaper, as it is available in the nearby Tractor Supply and there are more options in size and type.
    [​IMG]

This one I've heard prevents more feed waste because it doesn't allow the chickens to "fling" the food out as easily. The problem is I'd have to order it online and it's more expensive than the other type.
    [​IMG]

What are your experiences with feeders? What kind is best, or does it even really matter? I know it's best if feeders are at the hight of chicken's backs to prevent food waste and I am getting a hanging feeder.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

My experience with them isn't overwhelming positive. Wasting feed can sometimes be certain chicken's full time job.

Either will work, but will work best if hung at a height appropriate to the height of the chicken's backs. Obviously, this changes with age.
    Some folks place these feeders inside a large pan to catch what gets flung out.
    Some folks don't use them no matter what. I't a place to start. Research some of the various PVC feeders built by folks here and see if there is something you'd like to try.

3. la dee da

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    My experience with them isn't overwhelming positive.

Your experience with all kinds and types of store bought feeders? PVC feeders wouldn't work for us, mostly because we're really bad procrastinators but also because we have serious mice problems here and I want to be able to hang the feeder where they can't reach it at night. Do you know if a metal or plastic feeder would be better?​

4. I have really good luck with those until the hens hit about 8 months old. Then they turn retarded I think and go hog wild. I finally placed a shallow pan below the feeder to catch everything flung out (they can empty a 3 pound feeder in an hour) Now though I am seriously considering that small goat trough feeder at TSC. I think it is about 20.00. Hang it on a wall the height of the chickens back and I think it will work well. It is just deep enough to prevent fling yet still allow them to reach the bottom. The only problem I see is them possibly wanting to stand on the edge of it. If they do, rather than fighting them, I will probably build a small perch in front of it. They will stand on that to eat and will keep their feet off the edge of the feeder.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

A catch pan under those feeders pictured will save you a ton of money. You can use rubber fortex horse ones with a tall side, or metal oil change pans, etc.

You can hang the feeder so that it is low inside the pan- helps a lot.

Mice can still reach the feeder even if it is hanging. I recommend the ketch-all mousetrap (metal, $17) at the feed store or amazon.com. No bait and I have caught half a dozen or so mice at once with it. It catches them live so you must dispatch them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=135255
    see post #4

Oh- I reread your post- you are going to raise the feeder at night? That's a lot of work- might be heavy. You can put it inside a metal trash can or some other bin too.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. la dee da

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    I have the catch all mouse trap and have caught quite a few mice already [​IMG]. I could always put a catch pan on bricks to raise it up and prevent more feed waste, thanks for that! I plan to get a feeder that can hold only enough pounds that I can easily handle, the one I am thinking about can hold 22lb and the other 30lb. I didn't even think about putting in another trash can or bin! I'll keep that in mind if raising it becomes too much of a chore. Do you know if a plastic or metal feeder is better, or does it even matter?

7. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    Either will work, but they are very easy to make and cheaper. Use a five gallon bucket, a large (12" - 16" - 20" diameter) plastic saucer for flower pots and put a turn buckle through the bucket at the top. Hanging by the handle won't work, because a five gallon bucket will hold 20-25 lbs. of feed. With my outdoor feeders I make the birds clean up what's on the ground prior to giving them more food. That's hard to do in the coop because of the shavings on the floor.

8. la dee da

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    I looked into making a feeder myself, but unfortunatly it's just not going to happen. We're blessed with enough money to buy one so that's what I plan to do.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I have never even tried the plastic ones. I love galvanized metal everything. [​IMG]

10. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    Quote:with the money you save to buy, you could have made 4 to 5 new feeder bucket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by