Which feeder would be better?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thekid, Aug 16, 2011.

1. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Hey Brian,
    I find the second one waste less feed with coturnix. I tried the bigger 7lb round ones I use for bobs, just is mess with the corts. And nobody will get there head stuck in the flip tops. Bill

3. thekid

Thankyou, my dad thought that they would get their head stuck and he wanted to get a 7lb feeder. Well next time im back up there ill get that one lol

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Mine figured it was a nice sand box. Spent the day kick'n it out on the ground with the 7lb one. Even seemed to like swing'n on it !! They waste alot with the flip top too, just not as much...Bill

5. thekid

Quote:Why would they waste food lol if they are like me I would eat as much as I can [​IMG]

6. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i would go with the 2nd one, thats the EXACT one i have in with my quails, hardly any waste, only problem is they climb over it(and during the climbing they drag either poo, or wood shavings) sometimes drop in it, but i've never seen them get stuck in it

7. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

honestly, i have found that cat litter boxes work the best with Coturnix. They can't /don't kick any feed out ....they do however, use it for a bath as well as a feed pan.

8. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:i have done this as well in the past, main problem i've always seen is they tend to poo in it alot...and i mean alot

9. Jimsbirdhouse

Jimsbirdhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Gonzales, Texas
    I can't believe people still use the jar feeders! all your doing is keeping the feed stores in business. Ever time you fill them up half goes in the bird and half goes on the ground, JUST MY FEELINGS

10. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Any feeder with a jar doesn't go here. I use the 7 or 10 pound feeders or the feeders like in the 2nd link. I put a velcro strap in the 7 and 10 pound feeders to keep the ammount of feed in the pan down.It works okay, I just have to hang it high.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by