Which five plants would you choose?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is an interesting question inspired by my botany final. The question asked what five plants I would choose if I was only allowed to live with those five for the rest of my life (animal proteins are still available for use) and state your reasons.

The first plant that came to mind was hemp (And not for the reasons you would normally associate with the plant!), but because it can be used for canvas, rope, fiber, and even medicinally. Another one I chose was amaranth because you can pretty much use all the parts of the plant and the grain contains a high amount of protein. The other ones weren't quite so easy. I went back and forth between corn, wheat, quinoia, algae, and sunflowers.

So what plants would you choose if you could only choose five for the rest of your life?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thats a tough one...

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I like your choices. Hemp for sure for all its uses.It is a shame we ban it since the THC is nill. I think to yours I would add tomato,zuchinni,and some type of melon like cantelope.Maybe chia.Flax would be useful too.

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Corn,wheat,Tomatoe,pepper and squash or potatoes,can't decide between those 2.

5. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Cattails. They are a year round source of food, and fibers.

6. meldelfc

meldelfc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Quote:Cattails? Please excuse my ignorance and explain.

7. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Cattails grow at the edge of ponds. They have long, spiky leaves, a "sausage-like" head that contains thousands of tiny flowers. When they come up in spring, the shoots can be harvested and eaten like asparagus. In late spring, the flower spike can be boiled, buttered and eaten like corn on the cob. You can shake the pollen from the cattail flower in summer and use it like flour. And the root can be used like a potato. In the fall, the rootstock fills with starch, which you can harvest and use as flour too.

If I was in survival mode, I'd definitely want Cattails somewhere close by.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  8. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Quote:Between squash and potatoes, I'd go with squash. More edible parts, more caretenoids and other nutrition. Blossoms and seeds can be eaten. Any green potato parts are toxic.

9. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    corn, wheat, squash, beans, comfrey.

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Corn - sweet and field
    Sweet potatoes
    Peppers - sweet and hot