1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which Garden Plants are Bad for Chickens?

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by FeatherMtnFarms, Feb 20, 2016.

1. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2015
    We are planning on planting a garden by the chickens this coming spring/summer. I was wondering what plants are safe and which ones are not. Thank you!

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Speaking from experiance fence it off. I gave ours free access last spring and summer and hand barely any thing and some days nothing i could harvest because they had eaten everything. The love tomatoes, eggplant (mine dont eat the leafs off either), squash, cumcumber, zucchini, bell peppers, jalopeno, poblano peppers. The peppers they didnt touch everything else i was luckly if i found one. Snow peas, green beans, letuces, Spinach, swiss chard. Oh and the brats have taken up eating the leafs off my lemon sappling[​IMG] they also sit on it. My garden got fence in this year oh and water melon cantalope, strawberrie blueberries blackberties and raspberries. Mine i believe are part goat.

3. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Garden plants as in fruits and veggies? Or bushes and shrubs?

4. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2015
    Oh yes, sorry, that would be as in fruits and veggies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by