Which gardening book do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Niss, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Gaia's Garden, Second Edition: A Guide To Home-Scale Permaculture - Toby Hemenway

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series) - Stev

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times - Carol Deppe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening--Wit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. None of the above, see below for my answer...

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Last year was my first year with a garden as an adult. The results were mixed, better than expected since I talked myself in to expecting zero, lol. I want to grow a bigger chuck of our food in years to come (I've already got the chicken thing going, obviously), and could use some guidance. I've done some looking on Amazon, and based on reviews these ones seem likely to have some of what I need. I can't afford them all, so which, if any, would you recommend?

Edit to add I live in Western PA, and looking at my choices you may have guessed I want to add more trees and bushes. I want to understand self sustaining methods, but am not gardening organically.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    An alternative to spending a ton on books would be visiting BYC's sister site on gardening. Lot's of good hands on advice from people around the country.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/

3. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
  4. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Personally I feel the internet has all the info you could need. No one book can give all the info so I just search online for any questions I may have.

5. swampdonkey

swampdonkey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    Coolidge Georgia
    i would suggest the square foot garden. serious results from a small area, with small water / feeding / effort. intensive. always something ready to eat....i use it, and i have 30 acres. do multiple beds. i do plow and plant large crops like corn and southern peas in the ground, but thats just because it takes so much room to grow these plants. a small return for the room invested. JMHO

6. chinky5

chinky5 Just Hatched

Jan 26, 2012
    I borrowed "Gardening With Children" by Beth Richardson, from the library and I really enjoy it. So much so, that I just ordered it off of Amazon. I know, pretty basic, but it covers lots of topics and is very easy to understand. It is a bit outdated but fun to chuckle at some of the clothes...some I even wore. Another good one, is "Homegrown" by Marta Teegen.

7. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by