Which goose flies the least

Discussion in 'Geese' started by poultry guy, Feb 13, 2012.

1. buff goose

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. french toulouse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. pilgrim

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. toulouse

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. poultry guy

poultry guy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Please aswer the pole about a goose clearing a 6 foot fence it would help me a lot
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    sebastopol

3. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    My Pilgrims have never even so much as lifted their feet off the ground. They are routinely chased by my puppies and they have never flown. They just run away from them with wings stretched out squawking the entire way. I'd think if they were ever going to fly that would be the time to do it. LOL

4. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Heavy dewlap toulouse and sebastropol can't fly. I've had pilgrims, tufted roman, tufted buff, and they all can get up to about 6-8 feet for a hundred feet or so. Clipping one wing, twice a year solves that . I have a few Shetland geese and I pinioned (I hope[​IMG]) them well enough on one wing when babies. They are 8 months old now , but in winter pens , haven't seen a flight....

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I have Toulouse that are about a year old. They have never flown at all. They run with their wings out and flapping but I have only seen them get their feet off the ground by a couple of inches. maybe they need a lot more running space for lift off?Or maybe the fencing deters them from attempting to fly over?
    Sorry can't help more but this is my experience.

6. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    My toulouse fly over a 6 ft. fence. They don't have to run to far then go into the air. They will fly around in the air (with me yelling at them) at least 20 ft. or more. They usually land back in their pen but sometimes one will misjudge and land on the outside. He/she then runs along the fence line until I open the gate for him/her to get back in. A few times he/she have taken flight and flies back in. My husband added another 2 ft. onto the fence but they still like to stretch their wings sometimes.

7. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    "French Toulouse" and "Toulouse" are the same thing. "Dewlap Toulouse" are the other variety of Toulouse, and they can't so much as hop a foot in the air. Sebastopols can jump 2 feet if they have to, but cannot fly due to the feather structure (or lack thereof). All American breeds and compact European birds can fly under the right circumstances.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by