Which hardware cloth is best?

Hofcahs

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2015
Hello, We are getting ready to begin our family adventure with chickens! I have been reading many threads on this site and others trying to learn as much as I can. One area I have been researching is hardware cloth. I have found a difference of opinion on what size and gauge is needed. I have read reviews on different brands of hardware cloth, too. I have narrowed my hardware cloth search to two. I am trying to find the cheapest per square foot that is still going to do the job. I found a Yard Gaurd (might be Mid West Air Technologies) roll that is 48"X100' with 1/2" holes and 19 gauge for $161.59 a roll, and I found a Gilbert and Bennett roll that is 48"x50' with 1/2" holes and 19 gauge for $82.45 a roll. I found good reviews on the G and B roll, but since it is only 50' we would have to buy more to avoid seems. Because I have found some bad reviews on some hardware cloth (e.g. the roll was not "square", welds were broken, rusted quickly, etc.) I am a little nervous about the Yard Guard roll without seeing any reviews. So, after seeing how wonderful this site is I thought I would see if buy any chance someone on this forum has used the Yard Guard roll that I am looking at. Thank you!!!

I honestly don't think you would notice a big difference between brands as long as you are comparing apples to apples, if they are the same gauge same opening size, I would just grab which ever is cheapest. I ended up using 1/4 opening just because I found it on clearance and it was super cheap.

Back
Top Bottom