Which hatchery carries the most productive Barred Rock hens?

Green Ridge MO

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
Green Ridge, Missouri
I am only interested in egg production and wondered how someone knew which hatchery had the most productive line of barred rock hens. Does anyone know if any studies have been done on breeder stock of sex-linked birds? I would assume that many black sex link layers come from fairly productive barred rock hens and are crossed to a genetically positive traited RIR. But, I have never heard much about these parent stock. Is there a line of barred rock that say has Hendrix genetics or Hyline genes directly in line?

I wish I knew the answer to that question.

I had some barred rocks from McMurray that were flighty and didn't lay too well.

I have a BR from Ideal at present and she only misses once a week and she is so extremely gentle and LOVES to be held. I won't get rid of her even if she quits laying, she's that good.

All that said, you can't beat a black sex link for egg laying, she outdoes my pearl white leghorn hands down. She has missed only 3 days since October 1st. She is an egg laying machine.

Generally, hatchery BRs are fabulous layers. I have two older hens from Ideal, 4 years old. They are both still laying several eggs a week at that age. I have two hens whose mothers came from McMurray (owned by someone else) and they are good layers, too, at 3 years old.

I've just ordered 6 BR chicks(1 roo and 5 pullets) & 10 Welsummer chicks from Cackle Hatchery yesterday. I've been reading about the thread of BR and Welsummer....and I just couldn't resist getting them. I've sold all of my silkies (I miss them!) but, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy with my new chicks who will be here in middle of March. Noriko.

Back
Top Bottom