Which hatchery do you use for rock cross meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ohiocluckcluck, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ohiocluckcluck

ohiocluckcluck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2012
    Southwest Ohio
    Hi Everyone,
    We're looking to get 25 or so rock cross and this will be our first time ordering chicks, we just bought them before at TSC in the spring. I'm looking at Meyer Hatchery and Purely Poultry Hatchery. They add up to about the same amount so cost isn't an issue I just want to be sure I'm getting good healthy chicks. Has anyone used either of these hatcheries? Or do you have a favorite hatchery, I am looking for one fairly close to Ohio to save on the shipping cost. Let me know! [​IMG]

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We always use Welp for meat birds. No extra cost for shipping and they have great meaties.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I've been using Myers Poultry in Western PA. Shipping should be close to what Meyer's charges. I think Myer's has a little better pricing and they most always have birds available when I want them. Their (Myers) strain grows a little slower at the beginning which helps prevent leg problems. They catch up starting at week 5.

4. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    We have used Ideal, Mt Healthy, Welp, Meyer, and this time Murray McMurray. We've had the most luck with the McMurray meat birds when it comes to size and speed of grown.

But maybe we just got lucky.

5. Buster52

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    And I've learned to ignore cost of birds and shipping. That's the cheapest thing you pay for them.

6. waltandlori

waltandlori Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Richmond Dale, Ohio
    Last year I used Mcmurray I had no losses on arrival or after. grew out great, this year I used Meyers in Ohio, 2 were DOA and 6 more died within 12 hrs, in spite of giving electrolytes with an eyedropper. They were shipped during a heat wave with no gel. They gave us back the shipping cost of 14.63.

7. Sandyd

Sandyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    McMurray all the way. I use their broiler booster for Cornish X rocks. At 9 weeks old they are weighing 11 1/2 lbs. Processing this weekend.

8. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    Both McMurray and Welp are excellent.

9. Buster52

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I'll have to try that next time.

10. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    We just ordered 25 CX from Purely Poultry. Customer service was great pre-order. Order went through without a hitch so far. They due to arrive tomorrow! I'll let you know how they arrive with pics...this is our 1st order through them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by