Which hatchery for cornish broilers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AinaWGSD, Mar 10, 2013.

1. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    We're going to take the leap to buying broilers this spring and are trying to figure out where to get them. Since the minimum at the local farm store is 25 anyway, we've decided to cut out the middle man and order direct from a hatchery but need help choosing which one. Anyone have any recommendations on hatcheries that are a good source, or ones to avoid?

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Yes. I just received 43 chicks from Murray McMurray in Iowa. They have a 48 hour guarantee after you receive them. Every one of them is doing wonderfully! Two of them had a little shipping stress, but a little extra attention and they are great! You can mix and match different breeds. They ask if you would like a free exotic chick. I said heck yes!! They sent me a golden polish, she (I hope) is so funny and has become my favorite! This hatchery has 62 different breeds! I end up with 9 kinds, so fun! I actually bought 16 speckled sussex roosters for eating birds.(I am not fond of how unnaturally fast the crosses grow) So I tried this breed.Which I had discovered has the dorking bloodline which made me decide on them. There are so many to choose from it is mind boggling!! I hope this helps. I am so happy with the service they gave and the quality of their chicks!

3. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    We got ours from Welp last year, they were amazing. We didn't lose any- out of 75! And that was with 100+ temps for a lot of the time we had them.

We ordered from McMurray this year since they are closer to us and it's more convenient with 2 little kids to drive 5 minutes to pick up than an hour! But if you were getting them shipped I would say either of these are great.

4. Tabasco Jack

Tabasco Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Draketown, GA
    Last year I ordered 2 batches of 25 each of the Cornish Roaster from McMurray. Their service is great, the birds were fantastic. No joint problems or heart attacks. I think you will be pleased with the quality of their breeding.

Shipping through the USPS can be a problem for any hatchery. It's usually rough handling or environmental issues that damage the chicks.

If you are only going to get the cornish roasters, I would not recommend getting the free ornamental chick. I did that last year and regretted it. The Cornish develop so much quicker than the standard breeds that they were bullying the little ornamental chick. And it's rather difficult to raise a solitary chick. But, your mileage may vary with that.

5. AinaWGSD

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Anyone have any experience with Hoover's Hatchery in Iowa? From just cruising around the various hatchery websites they seem to be the cheapest (when shipping is included).

6. AinaWGSD

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I'm glad to hear it! We placed an order with Welp for turkeys and layers for this summer and they are currently the second cheapest for broilers so we are definitely considering them for this order too.

7. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    Yep, the first year we did CX we ordered through them because of the price, but we lost several and had a couple runts. The ones that made it to maturity were fine, but I wasn't nearly as happy as I was with our broilers from Welp. We only ordered there once though, could have been a fluke. Our neighbors get their broilers there exclusively and they do a couple hundred every year so it must be ok.

8. spanky1205

spanky1205 New Egg

Jan 17, 2012
    This is were I plan to by my next broilers Schlecht Hatchery. I bought some sex links from them earlier this year and everything has turned out great. Etta was quick to respond to all of my questions. In addition their prices are better than most and every review I found about the hatchery was positive.

9. CoopDeViIIe

CoopDeViIIe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    I received 50 from them just a week ago. All showed up healthy and active. After shipping it came out to $1.50 a chick. Half what TSC charges locally.

10. Mingming

Mingming Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    NJ
    Do all hatcheries charge extra when ordering less than 100? My first (and only) order from A&J Poultry charged $7.00 - which I didn't calculate into the final cost - and Hoover's charges $5.00.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by