1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which hatchery has the best Bantam Cochins?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by SuperPeacockman, Jul 17, 2011.

1. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Which hatchery has the best Bantam Cochins?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I bought some from Cackle Hatchery about 5 years ago and I love mine.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Honestly none of them.Once you have a nice bantam cochin to compare a hatchery one to you will see just how bad they are..cute sweet but nothing like they should be.But,if you just want a pet and don't want to spend a lot they are still fun.

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I am really happy with my hatchery Cochins. They lay almost daily, unless they are broody. Mine are all from Ideal Poultry, and I have ordered bantam cochin assortments from them multiple times. Generally, they are all good looking cochins. Their blacks are consistently by far the best out of the varieties I have kept. The shape, laying abilities, and personalities are very nice, especially considering they are from a hatchery. Looks wise, the buffs aren't near as nice, and the foot feathering was sparse on the couple of reds I had briefly. I have no complaints otherwise. However, almost all of the varieties have been exceptionally gentle, quiet, and friendly, whether hand raised or hen raised. There are lots of pics on my blog, but here are a few pictures of my bantam cochins:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:I'm sorry to disagree, but I got a trio from Ideal, and they won Best in Show at the Poultry show last year- they were stunning

I really think it depends on where the hatchery gets their stock from

6. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    I'm sorry to disagree, but I got a trio from Ideal, and they won Best in Show at the Poultry show last year- they were stunning

Its now what you win but rather what you beat.​

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:Its now what you win but rather what you beat.

You missed the part where I posted they were stunning

8. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    You missed the part where I posted they were stunning

No I didn't.​

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:No I didn't.

I don't personally know Neil, but I do know he's respected in the poultry show community so you might want to consider his opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2011
  10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Its now what you win but rather what you beat.

I bought giant cochins from Ideal a long time ago and I sold my roo-he WAS Stunning and won 1st place for best in show for the folks who bought him. Once in a while a few good ones might slip through and surprise people. I had a cochin quad and they assumed they were all from private breeders. Before they bought him-I told them where he was from and they were shocked-but happy. It happens-like it or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by