Which hatchery to choose when shipping chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wornoutmomto3, Feb 28, 2015.

1. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    With all the excitement about chicks in full swing many are deciding where to get chicks for starting a new flock or adding to an established flock. I personally hatched a few of my own, purchased from Tractor Supply, and shipped chicks from Meyer Hatchery. I have so many isolated brooders in full swing there is almost no room left to move. [​IMG] Which is fun for me. In about a months time the weather will have warmed and the chicks will begin integrating and joining the main flock. At that time, hopefully, I will also have a new set of chicks emerging from the incubator. Along with the new hatchlings I am looking at a couple other hatcheries. One that is local with a small selection and another that will need to ship chicks across country. (Striving for some diversity for future bloodlines.)
    There are a multitude of hatcheries to choose from: Murray McMurray, Meyer, Ideal, etc. A new one was recently brought to my attention, Valley Hatchery. I have looked over their website and the variety of breeds a good size. I have yet to encounter any reviews for this particular hatchery. If you have worked with them and have some valuable insight I would much appreciate your advice. If you are partial to another hatchery then, I would love to hear about it. Please share.

2. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    Where is Valley Hatchery located?

3. kar0427

kar0427 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Nicholasville, Ky
    You made me look! I checked out their website and have mixed feelings about them. The positives are a nice website and good selection. But offering only credit and not refunds is a problem for people like me who can't handle the additional chicks to make up another 15-chick order in the case of losing say, 4-5 birds. Free shipping, but it's definitely built into the chick price with an Australorp pullet at $4.60. Most importantly, you have to place the order before you're given a shipping date and I like to make that choice myself. No changes to any order are allowed; they advise you cancel the order ($15 charge) and make another one if you want to make any changes.
    They might have wonderful stock and be a great hatchery, but there are too many stipulations in ordering for me to feel comfortable ordering from them. A large order that you're sure of and indifference about shipping date, and knowing that you'll be ordering another 10-12 later (to take advantage of the credit), then it might be ideal.

4. kar0427

kar0427 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Nicholasville, Ky
    "Valley Hatchery's headquarters are located in Ohio. We have hatching facilities in both Ohio and Missouri! *Please note: we do not have a storefront and orders cannot be picked up from our location." - from the website

5. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I LOVE cackle hatchery I especially love that they are only 4 hours away so shipping isn't as hard on my chick's

6. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thank you for your candid response. I can get a bit chick crazy this time of year and need a level-headed view to calm some of the impulsiveness. [​IMG]

7. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I was wondering, what factors do you consider when choosing a hatchery? What is most important? What is least important?

8. ValleyHatchery

ValleyHatchery Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    Brookfield Ohio
    Potential or Current Customers,

I have to say, I frowned reading this! When kar0427 said, "But offering only credit and not refunds is a problem for people like me who can't handle the additional chicks to make up another 15-chick order in the case of losing say, 4-5 birds." I have to admit, I cringed. I have promised myself, family and team of employees that I am in this for the everyday backyard flock owner - this brought to my attention that this policy is not ideal for backyard flock owners.

What have I done? I have CHANGED our policies to help those like you, the small scale chicken keeper! I am proud to say, Valley Hatchery now offers CREDIT & DEBIT CARD CREDITS / REFUNDS. As a small business owner, I try to do my VERY best to listen to potential and current customers!

As for shipping, it is 100% free. This has not been factored into prices, other than our small order specials. The price you are paying, is for high quality poultry - Poultry Grand Champion Ready! We have worked and worked to offer nothing but the best, whether it is a standard bird or fancy bird - these are birds that children and adults will proudly display in their backyard or at the poultry show!

As for hatch dates, unfortunately this is not a feature we have yet added to our site. We do currently have a web developer working on this though! We do not claim to be the largest hatchery, as a smaller company it has been hard to scale up with the commercial hatcheries. But, we are trying our best! If a given hatch date does not work for you, we ALWAYS are willing to rearrange it at no cost!

We pride ourselves in having a great success rate for shipping birds, but for any customers who experience losses will now be credited the money to there bank account. I hope Valley Hatchery earns your future business, and feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions!

Thank You,

Santino
    Owner | Valley Hatchery
    [email protected]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by