Which hatchery would be the best for me?

Shannonsflock

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2015
New York
So i would like to start a flock this spring for eggs, but I would like to have a mixture of breeds. The problem is my local tsc dosent have to much. So what hatchery is near by NY and has much to pick from?:yiipchick

Second the vote for Meyer Hatchery.
Unless you want to show/compete at the higher level a hatchery is a great way to start. You have a huge variety to choose from and can select for only pullets (not 100% accurate but pretty darn good) . Breeders are wonderful (most of them:) and you can find rare and unique birds but you have to order quite a few to ensure you get a few girls and then you have to rehome, raise or eat the boys you end up with, and you will pay quite a bit more than you would from a hatchery. Meyer has been great to work with and they have an amazing variety to choose from.
Good luck!

Thanks so much! I just want some back yard chickens I am not showing them or anything. I have been looking at Meyers, I think that's the way to go!
1f60a.png

glad that we could help.

The most difficult part for me was deciding on the reason I wanted chickens in the first place.

So......I ordered from both a hatchery and Mr. Urch

Hatchery chickens will give you more eggs.

Mr. Urch chickens will be truer to what the breed is suppose to "be".

Every breed that I ordered from the hatchery was just a different color.

I enjoy the roosters so that part of the ordering problem did not bother me.

I like meyer, from ohio to ny (orange county) took 2 days. Not to bad if you asked me and it was a small order too, only lost 1 out of 4.

Back
Top Bottom