Which hatchery?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by DUCKGIRL89, Nov 5, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    In spring im gonna be getting some chickens, but which hatchery should I get them from MPC or ideal?

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    depends on how many you want. If you want a small number, and don't want extra roosters, Definately MPC...Ideal likes to use packing peanuts (male chicks) to fill the box...

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Oh, I only want four chicks, maybe 7 if I want to get a few silkies...

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    MPC gets their chicks from Ideal.
    When you order from MPC you are just paying more for the same thing you can get from Ideal.

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I chose the higher price from MPC because I did not want them to throw in a bunch of baby roosters that I would have to feed and raise until I could figure out if they were hens or not, and then have to figure out what to do with them because I couldn't keep them. Not that it matters, but I thought MPC got their birds from Meyers?

Im really confused...I guess I need to start another thread. How can MPC call themselves a hatchery if they get their birds from other hatcheries? LOL

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:That is confusing? LOL

7. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yeah, I think MPC gets their chicks from Meyers or Ideal. But MPC limit is 3, so it's probably best to order from them if you only want four, and they don't send male 'packing peanuts'.

8. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:That is confusing? LOL

Lol what I mean is that MPC does not throw in "packing peanuts" ie-extra chicks with your order to keep them warm on their journey. 90% of the time, they are male, and they are of unknown breed until they are old enough to show breed. As day olds, many of us cannot sex them ourselves, or sometimes even tell what breed they are. Therefore, you end up spending the money to feed and raise these extras while you are waiting for the ones you actually ordered to grow as well.

Once they are old enough to figure out which ones are the extra roosters, many people who cannot keep roosters or do not want roosters, now have a whole bunch of unwanted males that they now have to figure out what to do with. Rehoming takes time...sometimes LOTS of time...processing is not a choice some are willing to make...

Ideal and other hatcheries seem to cater to large orders, while MPC caters to backyard flock raisers like myself (and you from the sound of it). They do not throw in extra chicks, and they are usually very good at sexing the chicks they do send you.

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok! Thanks so much guys!!!!

10. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

First off MPC doesnt have any chickens, they drop ship. Get them from Meyer. That is were MPC gets their chickens from and Meyer also has the three minium order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by