1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which Heated Waterer, do you have?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by augustmomx2, Sep 18, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I am trying to decide between two different styles of Heated Waterer.

This one (plastic waterer w/plug-in): http://www.randallburkey.com/Heated-3-Gallon-Fountain/productinfo/10020/

or this one (a standard heated water base):

http://www.randallburkey.com/Electric-Heater-Base/productinfo/10019/

I'm leaning towards the first one, simply for the fact I would have to buy an additional waterer, since the only type I have is the plastic one. But, any experiences with either would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

TIA!

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Last winter hubby made a heater out of a light bulb inside a metal can and set the plastic waterer on top. It worked fine to keep the water unfrozen. He found the plans for the heater online here somewhere and it was a cheap fix. Hardest part was finding a cheap can!

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] good question, i was just on mpc and looking to purchase a heater for the chickens water.

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I use the seperate base kind with a plastic waterer, which is NOT recommended and I do worry about the fire danger. But it was what was available, and I closely monitered how hot the plastic got and it is never very warm.

It works at temps around 0* F when you only have about a gallon in there, any more then that and it'll freeze anyway, so it's been pretty safe. It also has a thermostat so it turns off when it gets too warm, which is nice.

That's been my experience anyway. Don't know about the other kind, I hope someone else has tried it, I want to hear about it. [​IMG]

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I like the first one, the plastic 3 gallon plug in one.

I'm also in the market for 2 of these for this winter. I refuse to haul frozen water 2x a day anymore [​IMG]

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I agree! Ain't nuthin easier'n a dog's electric water bowl. I just recently bought three the size of yours at Menards for $14 each. Last year I paid $42 each on the internet for two that were slightly larger.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So very grateful I don't have to worry about heated waterers!

But sometimes I wish I could put a water COOLER in their coop in the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by