Which heating lamp to use?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AndyL, Apr 13, 2009.

1. AndyL

AndyL Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    CT
    Hi, I would like to get an opinion on which reflector lamp to use for raising four baby Australorp chicks that I will be receiving shortly. I have a standerd reflector lamp that uses a 100 watt bulb already. Do you folks think that would be sufficient to keep my new chicks warm or should I invest in a 250 watt infrared heat lamp?

Thanks in advance for helping out a real newbie! [​IMG]

2. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Are they housed inside or outside and what is the average day/night temp where you are in CT? I am thinking that as long as you can maintain a 90-95 degree temp with the 100 watt you should be just fine. Go ahead and get your brooder ready now and place a thermometer inside to see where you are temp wise. Good luck to you and your new chicks.

3. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    I agree, as long as your brooder is at 90-95 degrees you should be good. I stared off with a red 250w and had to chage to a red 100w because the 250w was too hot.

4. AndyL

AndyL Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    CT
    They will be housed inside down in my clean and dry basement at around 60-65 deg.

5. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Oh good, I think that your 100 watt should be just fine. Have you read all the info on BYC home page about raising baby chicks? It is very helpful...good luck!

6. AndyL

AndyL Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    CT
    Yes I have, I am trying to research/absorb as much info as I can to get on the right track!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by