Which hen laid the egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kriswrite, Jul 13, 2011.

1. kriswrite

kriswrite Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    I figured my hens would start laying this fall, but today we discovered our first egg! My father, who used to raise chickens, once told me you could tell which hens were laying by looking at the color of their...earlobes, I think. I can't remember if they were supposed to be darker or lighter.

Does anyone know?

Kristina

2. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    My girls are getting ready to start laying. I can tell because their combs & wattles and turned bright red!!

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Look at their combs your layer will have a very red comb ( and earlobes if brown egg layer). Then check their bottoms. Your layer will have a wider bottom with a large vent slit.

4. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    I agree....check for bright red wattles and combs!

congrats on your first egg....isn't it the best feeling to see that first egg?! woohoo!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. kriswrite

kriswrite Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    Thanks!

6. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

Red ear lobes generally means brown or brownish eggs. White ear lobes generally means white eggs. Easter Egger/Americauna/Arucana are exceptions obviously and there are some other breeds that break the rule too. If you know what breeds you have you can look them up in the breed index and see what color they lay. If you aren't sure what breeds you have you can post pictures in the breed/gender forum and there are some very knowledgeable folks who frequent that section who can help you!

Congratulations on your first egg how exciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by