Which Hen Laid the Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenChatten, Jul 22, 2013.

1. ChickenChatten

ChickenChatten Chirping

Mar 15, 2013
    Earlier this afternoon (around 2) I found my first egg from the very first flock of hens. Obviously I'm very excited, even if it is just a puny slightly pathetic plain egg, I adore it, I am seriously like treasuring it. Here is a picture!

[​IMG]

Tadaa! I'm in love with it...

However I would very much like to know which of my hens laid the egg. I understand that it could be pretty difficult to tell, but I want to hear your opinions and guesses and hopefully we'll figure it out! All of my hens are 20 Weeks Old, Three Easter Eggers and Two Jersey Giants. I am suspecting it is an Easter Egger because they lay much sooner than Jersey Giant, but I have heard that in some cases, Jersey Giants will lay much earlier than others, plus this egg is not blue in any way, though I think it's very possible for Easter Eggers to lay pink or brown eggs, and this egg seems to be somewhat of a mixture of both those colors. Anyhow, here are the culprits!

Hen #1

Easter Egger

[​IMG]

Hen #2

Easter Egger

[​IMG]

Hen #3

Easter Egger

[​IMG]

Hen #4

Jersey Giant

[​IMG]

Hen #5

Jersey Giant

[​IMG]

I can take pictures as requested (combs and all that jazz)

Thank you!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Well, EE #3 and JG #1 show the most red. Just because of the egg color I'd go with the JG, 20 weeks is old enough for either breed. What hatchery did your EEs come from? Some hatcheries ime have a much higher % of green/blue egg layers, one of those would make me lean even more to the JG. You could blow out your egg and keep it, or make an xmas ornament or something out of it, and it is a lovely egg.

3. ChickenChatten

ChickenChatten Chirping

Mar 15, 2013
    Thank you for your input! Being first time Chicken owners, we were eager and picked up both breeds from a Feed Store. I would live to keep the egg and am heavily considering it, but also want to crack it open and see how the yolk and inside look (and taste)... Again, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: