which hen to cull?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by patandchickens, May 9, 2011.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Opinions? Goal is to produce future poults to grow up for freezer. Have 3 year-old Beltsville Small Whites, reeeaaallly only want to keep/feed two. Choices:

#1 -- good looking, has strutted occasionally since removal of tom to freezer camp last month, good and big and meaty-lookin', but lays eggs that are totally white (no speckles) with LARGE protruding patches of calcium deposits, dunno what that means.

#2 -- reasonably big and meaty-looking, suffered fairly severe injury from tom's spurs about 6 weeks ago which seems to be healing basically ok but she still limps and walks carefully

#3 -- somewhat small and scrawny.

Thanks,

Pat

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I would decide which one is the weakest link and cull.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  3. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    sorry bout that, I hit enter a coupla times too many before I got any further than typing "opinions?" Is fixed now, see above [​IMG]

Pat

4. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Well yes, what I was hoping for was opinions on which is the worst problem -- funky eggs, history of bad injury (obviously not genetically transmissible, but I don't wind up with a hen not permanently-well-enough to breed well), or small/scrawny.

Pat

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  6. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    OK, so it's probably #3 for the axe (I want to take one more look at #2's wound -- it was not just a cut, it was removal of probably a size-of-my-whole-hand area of not just skin but also muscle on one upper leg, really gross)

That's a good point about tracking weight gain in this year's (yet to be hatched) poults - I will try to remember to do that!

Thanks Steve,

Pat

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Your example is a really good one! THere is no perfect anything--we have to make a choice from the animals we have.

Injured hen--years ago a mare bit a chunk from the hip of a foal. With great care over a very long time (6 months) the muscle did grow back in and the skin grew and closed over the wound. Nature makes a huge effort to heal such things. ANd since your hen isn't destined for the race tracks like the foal, she may heal up well enough to continue as a breeding hen.

PS--she may limp for a long time; see what she is like in a year. Yes, really, a year. I'm speaking from personal experience.

GL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by