Which hen to remove, agressor or picked-on

John Doty

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 16, 2017
So a few months back I decided I wanted to get back into raising a backyard tractored flock so I built what is now my 3rd tractor coop. I designed the coop to house 6 RIR hens. In my former location, in a different state, I always would get at least 1 cockerel in my day-olds so I ordered 8 pullets from the new hatchery and of course I got 8 pullets. Now the slightly overcrouded flock is beginning to lay eggs and with that the pecking order is intensifying.
I have identified the most agressive hen and the one being picked-on. I intend to reduce the flock by 2 hens.
The question is, which is better to remove, the agressor or the one at the bottom of the pecking order? Or both?
Any ideas or experience would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

IF the most aggressive hen is mainly targeting the 1, or 2 at the bottom of the pecking order, I would get rid of the 2 at the bottom of the pecking order. Then you don't have all the squabbles of re-establishing pecking order. IF the most aggressive hen is overly aggressive to everyone, then get rid of her.

IF the most aggressive hen is mainly targeting the 1, or 2 at the bottom of the pecking order, I would get rid of the 2 at the bottom of the pecking order. Then you don't have all the squabbles of re-establishing pecking order. IF the most aggressive hen is overly aggressive to everyone, then get rid of her.
Perfect, that's where I was going and you have confirmed. I removed the agressive hen to see how the others would behave. Sure enough non agressive hens started working on her. I have never seen what I call the agressive hen ever attack any of the others.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom