Which hens are the quietest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IB chicken, Jan 5, 2009.

1. IB chicken

IB chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Do to the squawking my girls make in the morning, we may have to switch breeds. We have 2 BR and 1 RIR. Are there any type of hens that are quiet? Mine really squawk in the mornings and I know my neighbor will eventually complain. They are the noisiest between 6:45 - 9:00am which is a problem on weekends.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My Buff Orpington's are VERY quiet - they only time I heard them is if they are laying. Not so my other birds. In fact, my Silver Spangled Hamburg is the noisest thing on this planet!

3. factorygirl1976

factorygirl1976 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    albuquerque, new mexico
    we recently noticed that our 5 girls are pretty loud in the mornings too, even when not
    laying. we're completely fascinated by them, i'd HATE to have to get rid of them. our
    neighbors haven't complained yet, but we plan on giving them eggs just to butter them
    up in, just in case.

also, we have a pug that sleeps with us, so mornings at our place are usually pretty
    loud lately!

are there any "tricks" to keeping them a little quieter... anyone?[​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] both of you!!!!! Feel free to post any questions you have, there are no stupid questions. K? When I first joined here, I knew NOTHING! Thanks to all of our members, I am pretty sure I know what I am doing now. [​IMG]

5. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    I hope no one is complaing about some hen talk,a car is more offending to hear IMO,or the garbage man,which I dont have to listen to either of them anymore ,thank GOD

6. factorygirl1976

factorygirl1976 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    albuquerque, new mexico
    Quote:it's more like "inquiring" than "complaing "(complaining).

7. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    My Australorp is super quiet.
    Even when she is upset she's half as loud as the other girls normal talking voice.
    And she's the boss hen.
    Cluck quietly and carry a big, sharp pointy beak. - That's her motto!

8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Try giving them some scratch in the mornings--I kick mulch over it to make it more of a hunt. Also the hanging cabbage head. Anything to keep them busy will cut down on the noise a bit. But I just can't imagine anyone complaining about hen noise! Get a life!

9. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

So far, my EE has been the most quiet of my hens...so far. My BR's are LOUD

10. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Silkies are so quiet.......friendly and sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by