Which Heritage Breeds can actually breed?

Portalguy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Ripton, Vermont
Just that... if they don't have the instincts to breed, what's the point? Having chickens that lay (and eat expensive grain) like there's no tomorrow, is not a sustainable practise. It would be cheaper to simply buy eggs locally.

We are raising Sussex and Australorps, which are on their 'Recovering' column. In general, they're great in cold weather, and are not too hard to handle or aggressive... except for the Australorp rooster, who was super aggressive; kept finding sneeky ways to attack my 7yo son; but (worse) kept leading the flock far into the woods. Way too far.

We got rid of the Australorp male and kept the single Sussex male. He seems to know who's in charge (my son) with only an occasional challenge, and he takes better care of protecting the flock, not leading them so far away.

The real problem is that the Australorps wouldn't breed, and the Sussex don't seem to have the instincts too strongly either. We don't want chickens that are Monsanto-seeds, where you keep having to go back to the hatchery every year. Not collapse-proof, not peak-oil-proof.

Our two Sussex wannabee Mama has been sitting on clutches of eggs for over a month now without results. Sometimes one is joined by another hen for some time, two in a nesting box.

If we could help the Sussex along in the breeding, things would be perfect! Where should we look first, what information is needed? Should we post pictures of the nesting boxes?

How many hens do you have per rooster? How old are they? Where did you get them?

Have you checked any of your eggs for fertility?

What exactly do you mean wouldn't breed? The hens wouldn't go broody or they actually wouldn't breed?

You could always get some batams for incubators.

What are you feeding?
How do you know that they are not breeding? Have you checked the eggs?
What kind of housing do they have?

Chris

Quote:
No he means that the rooster isnt breeding with the hens. The OP has had 2 hens broody for over a month.

My best idea would be to get rid of this roo and get a new one that is more qualified (lol) for the job.

Last edited:
I think the issue is fertility. The rooster is not doing his job. So my concern is how old is he? If he's young still and the Aus. roo to had may have dominated him at one point too. Meaning its going to take him longer to take charge and be the alpha male.

I had a similar issue with my silkies... 1 male over powered 2 others, and I got rid of him and the other 2 didn't do their duties for a couple of months after he was gone.

That is my guess. Give him some time to age and come into his own with the other gone. IF he still doesn't perform (crack laid eggs and look for the fertile bullseye on the yolk) after another month or 2 depending on his age, it is probably time to get another roo.

I have a Delaware hen that I am going to just have to let brood. She insists and keeps finding better hiding spots. This last time... she was under the goats house. She couldn't have them there! I'd never be able to care for her and on top of that she was out in the open, for the most part, except the goats fence that has holes in it. (I need to re-do that)

So, anyways, my Delawares do go broody if you let them. She is one of the main flock's offspring and by far my favorite. She is so sweet and funny. Talks alot.

oh the roo isn't doing his thing!!!

Had the same problem for a period of time as spring was springing.... I found if I let them free range right away in the mornings, and then again about a hour or two before dark... they mated better. Seems to be a better time for the boys. Just something I noticed around in all my birds. The males get more frisky, especially, at dusk. So I let them freerange which I also noticed helps with the mood.

Back
Top Bottom